Interlude: Realm beyond Time

Between the many parallel universes is the Void. The endless, inconceivable nothingness where "where" and even "when" have no meaning. The Eternals call it the Howling. Some call it the Dead Space. Others call it UnReality, the Endless Darkness, or even Hell. If you somehow managed to enter this non-plane without being destroyed or reduced to who-knows-what, you could spend an eternity there without a single second passing back home in the universe. Many higher species are aware of this, but there is something that very few are.

If something once existed, but history was changed, what happens to it? It still exists in another universe or alternate timeline, right?
Often. But not always. Sometimes the very paths that lead to a possibility are erased. Sometimes the change in history is so great that all circumstances that lead to a thing disappear, and said thing no longer exists in any universe or timeline. What then?
In that case, the possibility goes into non-being. Into the Void. Cut off from every reality like an early draft of a chapter that no longer fits anywhere in the book, or scraps cut out from a quilt that can't possibly fit back in, the impossibilities are left to fester in the darkness outside reality.

Some of these things were once alive before they were deprived of their existence. A few even retain sentience, but often not in a form that we would understand or even recognize. Since thoughts and ideas do not need physical expression to exist, they can live where no matter, energy, space, or time can even exist.

So the Void, although literally having nothing in it, is far from empty. It is full of forgotten dreams, wasted potential, and infinitely remote possibilities.
It is also full of hungry, desperate, nasty things. Things which have no shape or form, but would love nothing more than to claw their way out of the howling non-being and into reality.

Just something to think about.