Fish out of water

"Here, read." He leads me in before standing and waiting for me to begin

"Read? Which one, there's so many."

"All of them, don't touch the locked ones. You're not ready."

"Why?"

"For the love of god just don't."

"When will I begin learning about humans?"

"When you read all the books."

"This will take forever." I whine

"Better get started."

As the doors close I immediately feel the pull towards the Forbidden Section, I try to ignore it and follow his one rule. 

One simple task and yet I can't seem to listen. I can't seem to move anywhere but towards them, I can't focus on anything else.

My hand brushes the shelf and my blood hums with the rush of power, I can't take my hand away as I'm drawn towards it.

A gaping spot glares at me and my heart drops, what if I can't read the one I need.

I look past it and spot one that looks like it's glowing, incandescent and pulsating. It's in my hand and open but I don't even remember taking it.

"What the hell did I say!" He yells at me

I freeze, the book stops humming, leaving me to deal with the consequences alone.

"I didn't...It wasn't me-"

"Put it back now." The book hisses and I draw my arm back, holding the book to my chest "Now Nevelia."

"But-"

"Now."

I don't realise he's trying to get it away from me until it's gone from my hands.

"You don't want to mess with that, not even I could help after it got to you."

"What do you mean?"

"We can talk about it outside."

He pulls me out as I look back at the book feeling as though I've lost something. He locks the door behind us, stopping the whispering from getting the best of me.

"Stay out of the library for a while."

"What do you want me to do then?"

He drags a tired hand down his face and rolled his eyes turning towards me. 

"Did you do this on purpose? Did you have a master plan?"

"Master plan?"

"Ok, I'm going to talk to Wong. Just go to your room, don't do anything stupid."

I turned back to the library and then buried the luring voice deep in the back of my mind and walked forward my door closing behind me.

I wiggled out the box Tony gave me from under the bed and opened it, finding a hastily scrawled note.

'For when Dr. Who won't tell you anything'

♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

The numbers and names on the screen are all familiar, the people I was introduced to back in Wakanda, the smiling faces and various names a blur slowly coming back. I remember Wanda the most, she was hugging me tight enough to make it hard to breathe. The shining gratitude in her eyes blazed the back of my soul reminding me who I lost, who sacrificed.

"Nevelia, are you awake?"

I looked out to the flickering lights below, the wave of colours like stars that deeply contrasted to the void sky.