Chapter 8

"Every memory created is another treasure of a lifetime."

"Good morning, sunshine." Maureen cooed at Nikki who was stretching his little body awake, a cute yawn coming from his mouth as he raised his fists in the air. 

"Ma-" he mumbled, his little words tumbling as he tried hard to pronounce her name. "Ma-wee..."

Maureen couldn't help but giggle at the adorable baby, lifting him in her arms and swaying slightly while keeping him secured in her arms.

It was now Monday, and her weekend off was over.

The five kids were already asleep when she got back yesterday, traffic making the trip back longer than it should've been, but the peaceful sleep she got was worth it.

It was now a new day, and they were off to an early start.

Since it didn't look like the rest of the children were going to wake up any time soon, Maureen made her way down the stairs and made it to the kitchen, one arm holding the now noisy Nikki as the other prepared his plate.

"Down, down. Want down." the little baby said, and Maureen complied. She let his jumpsuit covered body down gently on the carpeted floor, keeping her eyes on him as her hands fixed his breakfast.

She had already prepared oatmeal and sliced fruits, all she needed to do was cool it down for Nikki to handle.

Once his breakfast was placed and ready, Maureen swiftly lifted his small body from the ground, tossing the giggly baby lightly in the air and spinning around.

The giggles and snorts that came from him made Maureen laugh, too.

"Eating time, little baby." she cooed as she placed him down in his high chair, giving him his spoon and plastic glass so that he could eat himself. His muscles were working well, and both Natalie and him already handled objects in their hands with ease.

"What's this?" Nikki asked in his small voice, the words coming out as 'whaz diz?'. He filled his spoon with oatmeal and raised it towards her, some of the droplets made a mess on his table. 

Maureen already had a small tissue ready for cleaning up.

"It's oatmeal. Oat-meal." she answered, and Nikki echoed her words, missing the 'L' at the end. She giggled at his cuteness.

Nikki continued to feed himself with his breakfast, some spilling on his table and some being grabbed by his bare hands, with Maureen feeding him with another spoon when he gets too distracted.

She could see Mrs. Helen fixing some plants by the pool, and she was sure that Dave was out with Mr. Lawson at work. 

Once she heard the small footsteps coming from the stairs, she knew it was one of the remaining four. The baby monitor by the kitchen didn't make any noise, so she guessed it was either Harper or Hayes.

"Good morning, Harper." she greeted, smiling at the little girl who was silently walking towards the kitchen.

Her hair was neat and so was her clothes. Maureen noticed that Harper was neat and strict when it comes to her appearance, always making sure that she was presentable every morning and whenever they needed to go out.

It was one of the small things that really showed how mature she was for her age.

It was something to be proud of, but it also meant that she had a line of strictness when it came to her self.

Harper kept her eyes on Maui, not bothering to reply to her as she remained silent. Maureen kept her smile.

She couldn't figure out if Harper was happy that she was back or not. Maybe not.