Chapter 9

"Close your eyes and see how the world should be... happy, kind, beautiful."

"Okay, okay. I got you..." Maureen shushed the crying twins, as well as keeping Charee in the middle to keep her from walking away. 

The three children were on her lap, crying and fussing while flailing their arms around in protest. 

"I got you..." Maureen whispered as she tried her best to calm the babies down, rubbing their backs as she shushed gently.

Charee was the first one to stop crying, rubbing her eyes as she continued to stare at the puppy from afar. Maureen understood her curiosity, but she wanted to remain safe as well as respectful towards the owner of the dog and the dog itself.

The two toddlers continued to cry, and it seemed as if the two older twins heard their cries as Harper and Hayes walked back towards them, worried gaze looking over Natalie and Nikkie.

Maureen quietly let Harper take Nikki, as Hayes also took Natalie in his arms. With a sigh, Maureen turned towards the now quiet Charee. 

"Oh, honey..." she started, not knowing how to lay the words to the child, but she needed to.

She first started on how dangerous it was for her to run from Maureen and the others, noting that she might get lost, or worse, be taken by a stranger. She then talked about dog behavior and how some dogs aren't comfortable with strangers touching them so suddenly, saying that they might become aggressive if agitated.

She also reminded Charee how asking for permission was important, especially from a pet's owner. She explained how complex it was, all those things. And promised her that if the dog was still there later, she can come with her to ask if Charee can pet the dog or not.

With a sniffle, Charee nodded her head in understanding, mumbling on how the dog just looked so cute and how she wanted to bark with them as they ran around.

It wasn't the time for giggles, but her silly thoughts almost made Maureen chuckle, albeit she was successful in holding it in. 

With an apologetic gaze, she turned towards the twins, checking their arms and legs for bruises and scratches as they settled down. All the while whispering apologies and assurance to the both of them.

She ignored Harper's glare, knowing that it was her fault for not keeping a proper eye on them. 

It was a good thing that both of them were okay, no scratches or bruises anywhere.

Maureen couldn't help but sigh in relief.

She moved quickly, smiling slightly as the five of the kids were now back to chattering as they continued to look around, and with the two older kids now with them, Maureen can now concentrate on preparing their food.

Her hands were quick and swift as she took out their packed lunch, some sliced sandwiches and fruits, as well as biscuits and chips and juice packs that the kids can choose from.

"Okay, let's eat." she smiled to the kids, urging them to grab what they want and eat as the breeze lulled gently on their skin. 

Their food was placed neatly on their picnic blanket as they picked out what sandwich they wanted, and Maureen had an easy time feeding both Natalie and Nikki as Hayes helped her. Harper kept her eyes on Charee, feeding her as she continued to look around and point at whatever she found was fascinating.

"Careful..." she whispered gently to Natalie as she walked around, trotting her small legs as she held a grape in a tight grip, giggling and mumbling as she walked a small distance to her sisters.