Chapter 4

"Fathers don't just love their children every now and then, they love without end."

"Good afternoon, Mr. Lawson."

The man in front of her wore a suit, documents in one hand and keys on the other. 

Tobias stopped for a moment to register who the woman was, but then remembered that they had hired a new nanny for the children, and they started working a week ago.

"Ms. Maureen Howard, right?" he asked, smiling at her as he removed his coat and set down his things at the table by the door. "It's nice to see you again."

Maureen smiled back at her employer. "It's nice to see you too, Sir."

Tobias' eyes looked over as his head leaned to the side, looking over his five children as they played, a loving smile on his face. 

Maureen didn't stop him as he walked to the living area of the house, smile still intact as he tackled the nearest baby there is. Charee.

The third child screamed and giggled, surprised at the sudden hug she received. Maureen heard the soft 'papa' come from Nikki and Natalie, as Hayes and Harper stepped near him to give him a hug too.

Mrs. Helen said something about Mr. Lawson not always having the chance to be with his children, since he was always working here and there for clients and contractors.

But looking over at them now, she knew the children understood their situation. 

They had smiles on their faces, even the always-so-serious Harper, as they asked about how their Dad was doing and if he was tired.

Maureen turned and concentrated on washing the bottles and utensils, giving the family a sense of privacy as they catch up with each other.

A smile was on her face as she listened to them talking about what happened this week, what they ate, their dreams as they slept and what their dad's new work was.

She waited until a few hours later, when the children were having their afternoon nap, that she went to Mr. Lawson's office. She let them talk and play, until Tobias noticed the sleepy eyes of the younger three and it was him that set them down for a nap. After that, Mr. Lawson stayed for a few minutes in the older twins' room, Hayes and Harper.

Maureen knocked on his door three times before she heard a quiet 'come in'.

The office was bright, with a large glass window at the back of table looking over the plants at the backyard. Several documents, papers and architectural plates and blueprints were scattered on the table as well as the couch.

"Ms. Howard" Tobias greeted, setting his reading glasses down as he acknowledged her. "Please, sit."

Maureen took a seat on the leather couch, watching with a small smile as she waited for tobias to settle at the couch in front of her.

"I hope you're settled just fine here? Are the children giving you a hard time?" he asked.

Maureen shook her head as she spoke. "Oh not all, they're angels. Harper and Hayes are also a big help when it comes to taking care of the younger three."

She didn't say anything about Harper being wary and doing things that are... disagreeable sometimes.

She knew Harper was wary of strangers, especially the ones who get near her siblings. Thus results to these 'pranks' as she'd like to refer to it.

She'd find dirty paint water poured on her closet at the back rooms, intentionally. Her things would go missing, and some would be found in unmentionable places in the house. The trashcans.