Chapter 20

"It was the calm before the storm, and none of them knew it was going to be the storm of their lives."

"Maui watch TV." Natalie gestured to the remote, grabbing it with her small hands and handing it to Maureen. 

They were relaxing on the living room, with Harper and Hayes doodling and writing with Charee by the floor, while the twins stayed by the couch and stared at the TV.

It was a weekend, and aside from a few assignments they needed to finish, they haven't got anything else to do. 

"Watch TV." Nikki followed, clapping his hands against his thighs, cheering.

Maureen chuckled, getting the remote out of Natalie's hands as she turned on the television, switching the movie to a child-friendly one, one about dinosaurs. 

The Land Before Time. They loved this movie.

She kept the volume low as to not disturb the little artists by the floor, making sure that the two watching were a safe distance from the television.

It was a small height from the floor, and they were huddled in thick pillows so Maureen felt relieved to left them for a minute to get some snacks.

The kids loved biscuits and fruit, so she decided to go with smoothies and some packed biscuits from the grocery. Some oreos and popcorn, too.

A few minutes into the movie and all five kids had their eyes on the screen, staring intently.

Charee was between Natalie and Nikki, two arms over their shoulders as she held them like the big sister that she was.

The older twins, as always, were seated together by the other couch, with their papers and pens on their lap. Mrs. Helen was now also by the living room, sitting by one of the chairs and watching the movie with them.

"Snack time." she exclaimed, placing the tray on the table and handing them each their bowls. Mixed biscuits, cookies, and some cut up fruits.

"Here you go." she handed two over to Hayes and Harper, both of them saying their thanks as they took the snack bowls in their hands. A bigger bowl was given to Charee and the twins to share.

She'd clean the crumbs and leftovers on the couch later.

As the movie ended, the three younger kids were clapping with the closing song and the twins had smiles on their faces as Mrs. Helen and Maureen watched. 

"What do you want to do next?" she asked, cleaning up the snack bowls and placing it over the kitchen counter. 

"Swim! Swim!" Charee cheered, running over to the garden and then the pool to go to the shallow part of the water. Hayes followed, and Harper agreed as she also approached the swimming pool.

Maureen chuckled before agreeing, letting them take their swimwear from their rooms and going back down. She made sure that Charee had her swimming vest secured on her chest and arms, as well as giving Harper and Hayes their pool floats.

They were both excellent swimmers, but it didn't hurt to be safe. 

As she took the twins upstairs to get them changed, Mrs. Helen stayed by the pool to watch over the three.

"Up, please." she said to Nikki, letting him raise his arms above his head to get his shirt over his arms. Their swimwear was soft and thin, and it also helped with their sensitive skin.

Natalie was done with changing, so she stayed on the carpeted floor bouncing and hopping while holding toys on her hand.

Carrying them both in her arms as she reached the pool, Maureen grabbed a wide pool float from the side and placing them both safely on the middle, the three other kids approaching them with chatter.