The Worst Luck, Part Five

Golden Carp Tower was laden with gold.

Pan Wukun walked along with Meng Yao upon the many steps that led up to the tower.

Meng Yao looked around in awe.

Engraved on stone walls were stories of the many generations of the Jin clan. These were the incredible exploits of his ancestors. A legacy he would add to one day.

Up ahead, two LanlingJin cultivators stood guard at the base of the tower.

"Halt! What business do you have at Golden Carp Tower?"

Meng Yao bowed. "We are here to meet with Sect Leader Jin."

The guards, taking notice of Meng Yao and Pan Wukun's shabby clothing, snorted. "Oh really? Do you have an invitation?"

Without saying a word, Meng Yao pulled out the pearl.

The LanlingJin cultivators paused in astonishment.

"Is that-?"

"I think it is!"

The guards whispered to each other.

"Is it a good idea for us to just let one of 'them' in? Wouldn't Sect Leader Jin be furious?"

"Well, we should let Sect Leader Jin know at least! It's not our decision what to do with those who are 'his'!"

One of the guards waved Meng Yao forward. "Follow me."

As Pan Wukun walked after Meng Yao, the other Jin guard blocked her way. "Uh-uh-uh. You stay right here. We have to make sure you don't try to steal anything."

Pan Wukun frowned and looked over at Meng Yao.

Meng Yao smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry, Pan-shifu. I'll be fine."

Pan Wukun watched Meng Yao as he ascended the stairs.

The top of those stairs was so high up.

It was a long way down...

——————————————————

Jin Guangshan lounged back against his chair, lazily waving his fan as he looked over some paperwork.

Madam Jin was in the room as well, chatting with some of her servants. "A-Xuan is growing so fast, isn't he? Oh, he looked so handsome in his new robes! He's turning out to be quite the fine young man!"

Jin Guangshan swelled with pride. Of course, his son was handsome. He inherited his looks, after all.

"Sect Leader Jin." Jin Guangshan's attendant entered and bowed.

Jin Guangshan folded his fan closed. "Yes? What is it?"

The attendant silently pulled a pearl out of his robe sleeve.

That pearl.

At the sight of the pearl, Madam Jin's face contorted in fury.

Jin Guangshan chuckled nervously. "Now. Now. Nothing to worry about. I shall handle this."

"Sect Leader. A son of yours wishes to meet you," the attendant whispered.

"Son? What son? I have important matters to attend to and Zixuan's next night hunt is approaching soon. I can't afford any distractions. Forget it," Jin Guangshan hissed.

Jin Guangshan's eyes settled on the pearl. "Dispose of that," he growled.

The attendant hid the pearl away in his robe.