The Pursuit of Knowledge, Part Fifteen

"Um...is Lan Qiren out sick today? Who's the new guy?"

None of the guest disciples recognized the GusuLan sect cultivator standing in front of the class.

The GusuLan sect cultivator frowned. "What is it? What are you all staring at?"

Upon hearing the man's voice, the guest disciples realized that it was Lan Qiren.

"Lan-xiansheng?!"

Lan Qiren noticed the guest disciples staring intently at his face.

Lan Qiren felt a hand around his face. His hand came to rest under his chin.

His empty, hairless chin.

At the disgruntled expression on Lan Qiren's face, Wei Wuxian burst into uncontrollable laughter. He wanted to play one big prank on Lan Qiren before leaving the Cloud Recesses in a few weeks.

"Wei Wuxian!" Lan Qiren's shout was so loud it was as if his voice echoed throughout the Cloud Recesses.

Lan Qiren pointed at Wei Wuxian in anger. "You really are just like your mother, Cangse Sanren!"

Wei Wuxian stopped laughing. His eyes widened. "My mother! Did you know my mother?"

At the look on Wei Wuxian's face, Lan Qiren was stunned. It was so unlike Wei Wuxian to have such desperation in his eyes.

"Please, Lan-xiansheng. Did you know my mother?"

Lan Qiren was unswayed by Wei Wuxian's pleading. He did not want to think of Cangse Sanren. "Enough! I will speak no more of this!"

"But-!"

"No more!"

For once, Wei Wuxian went quiet. He trembled where he stood.

Pan Wukun and Lan Wangji watched him with concern.

Wei Wuxian was so dazed that Jiang Cheng had to pull him by the arm to sit back down.

Lan Qiren continued with the class as normal and dismissed the guest disciples without another glance at Wei Wuxian.

Over the next few days, Pan Wukun noticed that Wei Wuxian acted gloomy. His heart just wasn't into his usual pranking.

Was Wei Wuxian trying to get on Lan Qiren's good side to be able to talk about his mother?

Seeing Wei Wuxian like this bothered Pan Wukun. She didn't know if Lan Qiren ever told Wei Wuxian more about Cangse Sanren after he married Lan Wangji. So she felt bad for Wei Wuxian.

There had to be something she could do for him...

-------------------

"You wished to speak with me, Pan Wukun?"

Pan Wukun bowed respectfully to Lan Qiren.

"Wei Wuxian has been unresponsive and sad lately. He is...a good friend to me. I am concerned about his well-being."

Lan Qiren frowned.

"Lan-xiansheng. Wei Wuxian could barely even remember his parents. I know he can be...difficult." - And clingy. And cocky. And too mischievous for his own good, Pan Wukun thought. - "But he is still young. Please, he needs closure."

The stiffness in Lan Qiren's jaw lessened.

"You are the finest grandmaster of the GusuLan sect, Lan-xiansheng. You know what's best for your students. What child wouldn't want to know more about their parents? You know the importance of filial piety. Wei Wuxian can pay better respects to his parents' memories if he can get to know them more."