The Pursuit of Knowledge, Part Fourteen

The Library Pavilion was a cozy place to spend time in during the winter.

The guest disciples' year-long study would end in a month, a little before the Lunar New Year.

So Pan Wukun planned to read as many books from the Library Pavilion as possible before she left.

From time to time, Lan Wangji sat across from Pan Wukun, reading a book of his own too.

On one particular day, Lan Wangji was nowhere in sight. Nowhere.

He didn't show up to the Library Pavilion or the work session for the communication talisman.

Pan Wukun couldn't find Lan Xichen to ask about Lan Wangji either.

She noticed that the GusuLan sect cultivators appeared gloomy too.

"Where are Lan-er-gongzi and Zewu-jun?" she asked some passing GusuLan sect members.

"They are in their chambers grieving."

Pan Wukun's heart sank. "About what?"

"It was many years ago on this day that Madam Lan passed away."

-------------------

It was snowing when his mother left this world.

Lan  Wangji stood with an oil-paper umbrella in front of the little house  where the gentians grew. He stood upon the same spot where he kneeled as  a child.

No matter how long he waited, month after month, his mother never reappeared from those doors.

A crunch in the snow came from Lan Wangji's side.

Dusk approached Lan Wangji and looked up at him curiously.

Lan Wangji knelt and petted Dusk's head. She leaned into his touch. She looked up at him while patting his hand with her paws.

Lan Wangji understood and cradled Dusk in his free arm. She rested her head against his chest.

Lan Wangji held Dusk close, shutting his eyes and taking comfort in her warmth.

"Eh? The rabbits led us to Lan Zhan!"

Lan Wangji turned around, surprised to see Wei Wuxian and Pan Wukun dressed in winter cloaks.

Earlier,  Little Carrot had incessantly tugged on Pan Wukun's sleeve to get her  away from her desk and out the door. She had been hesitant about seeing  Lan Wangji, thinking he wouldn't want to be disturbed while grieving.

Meanwhile, Snowball had handled Wei Wuxian, who couldn't resist chasing after the rabbit.

"What are you doing here with Dusk, Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Some GusuLan cultivators told me he's grieving. We should go," Pan Wukun explained.

Wei Wuxian's eyes widened in shock. "Oh..."

Pan Wukun turned to leave.

"No. Both of you stay..." Lan Wangji said softly.

Pan  Wukun paused in shock. Wasn't Lan Wangji a loner who tended to keep to  himself at the Cloud Recesses in his teenage years? What happened?!  Sure, he spent time with her and Wei Wuxian at the talisman sessions and  the Mid-Autumn Festival, but still!

Wei Wuxian's eyes softened as he moved to stand close to Lan Wangji. "Who are you mourning?"

"My mother..."

Wei Wuxian's eyes turned sad. "I see..."

Wei Wuxian and Pan Wukun thought about how they also lost their mothers so they understood Lan Wangji's pain.