The Path of Cultivation, Part Six

After Pan Heng learned that Pan Chun and Zhu He survived an encounter with a shanxiao, he didn't give Zhu He an earful. Oh no, he left that to Zhu He's parents. He was also sure that the scathing glare he sent Zhu He made his displeasure clear enough. His main focus was treating Pan Chun's wounds.

As Pan Heng transferred spiritual energy to Pan Chun, she informed him that there was still a raging fire in the forest that needed to be extinguished.

Fortunately, the flames hadn't erupted into a full-blown forest fire. The villagers carried buckets of water from the nearby rivers while Pan Heng used cultivation spells to put the fire out.

Meanwhile, Pan Chun, who was too injured to help, rested back home to treat her wounds and regenerate her spiritual energy.

The crisis was averted with no casualties.

And so, Xuhou was full of good spirit.

As for Pan Chun, the day of her parting was approaching...

——————————————————

"My courtesy name?"

"Yes." Pan Heng showed Pan Chun the characters written on the sheet. "It took me a couple of years to think of a good courtesy name for you."

Pan Chun read each character aloud carefully.

"Wu..." - 务 - That either meant "military", "martial", or "affairs" depending on the character written and its context. In this case, Pan Heng had chosen 务 (wù) meaning "affairs" or "business".

"...Kun." - 坤 - That meant "earth". But it could also mean "female". - Oh haha. Pan Heng couldn't resist sneaking that in, could he?

Wùkūn - 务坤 -

"Wukun."

Wukun?...Earthly affairs? Ohohohoho no. She was not getting involved in any earthly affairs. Those basically entailed the cultivators' blood feuds!

And with the upcoming Sunshot Campaign - "That is no good" (Thanks, Sonic).

Pan Chun looked back up at Pan Heng. "Why 'Wukun'?"

"The cultivation world is perilous. The courtesy name 'Wukun' is meant to help you make your way in this world. So you have a clue of what you're doing in this foreign land. The name is not meant to get you involved in earthly affairs, but rather, it's for you to be aware and avoid them."

Oh, you have no idea just how much I know, Pan Chun thought. Oh right, she still didn't know if she could tell Pan Heng everything she knew about the future. Damn her indecisive ass...She'll think more on it later.

She appreciated the thought Pan Heng put into her courtesy name, though. Avoiding any worldly catastrophes and wars was a must. "Now that you've explained why, 'Wukun' does sound like a great courtesy name to have."

Pan Heng nodded. "That settles it then, 'Wukun' is your courtesy name."

To the world, she was Pan Wukun now.

...

...

...

Was that sniffling she was hearing? "A-ge...are you crying?"

"What?! N-No!" Pan Heng turned his back to the newly named Pan Wukun, wiping his eyes with his arm. "My eyes are dry and sore from looking at countless characters to choose your courtesy name! I'm just tired, that's all!"

Pan Wukun smiled. "All right, I'll leave you alone, I need some fresh air anyway."

She left the house and stared up at the sky.