Forest of Webs, Part Two

"Pan Chun! Pan Chun!"

No matter how much Wei Wuxian called her name, Pan Wukun wouldn't open her eyes and respond.

Wei Wuxian sobbed. "Shit! Shit! Uncle Jiang! Someone! Come help quick!"

"Wei Wuxian! Is that you?"

To Wei Wuxian's surprise, Qin Su and Luo Qingyang appeared on their swords.

"Sect Leader Jiang called us here to help!" Qin Su explained.

"The presence of spider demons means spider demon venom. So Sect Leader Jiang knew to call skilled healers here!" Luo Qingyang added.

"Don't worry! Luo Qingyang is a skilled herbalist!" Qin Su assured.

"Quick! Pan Chun's been bitten!" Wei Wuxian said.

Luo Qingyang inspected Pan Wukun's arm wound closely. "Doesn't look good. We need to work fast!"

Luo Qingyang waved Wei Wuxian away. "Go meet with the rest of the YunmengJiang sect, Wei-gongzi! And hurry back here with a stretcher!"

If Wei Wuxian stayed, people would gossip about how Luo Qingyang fooled around with Wei Wuxian and Qin Su with Pan Wukun. They would think Luo Qingyang was the initially annoyed, eventually infatuated type while Qin Su the rivals-to-lovers type. If it was just Qin Su and Luo Qingyang with Pan Wukun, it would be two women giving an unconscious man medical treatment. Nothing romantic going on.

Wei Wuxian cast one last worried look at Pan Wukun before nodding and flying away on Suibian.

Luo Qingyang gathered and set down the herbs, medicines, and bandages. "I need to remove Pan Wukun's coat to be certain that the venom doesn't damage his shoulder and reach his heart. Su-jie, watch my back."

Qin Su guarded Luo Qingyang with her sword. With her back to Luo Qingyang, she didn't know why Luo Qingyang let out a startled squeak.

"What's wrong, Qingyang-jie?"

"Pan Wukun's...Pan Wukun's..."

"What? He's what?"

Qin Su finally turned to look at Pan Wukun. Her sword almost slipped from her grasp.

Luo Qingyang had removed Pan Wukun's upper garments and Qin Su got a good look at Pan Wukun's bare chest.

Qin Su stammered. "Pan Wukun's...Pan Wukun's a-"

Luo Qingyang placed a calming hand on Qin Su's arm. "I know, Su-jie. But I need silence to do my work here."

Qin Su did as Luo Qingyang asked and silently stood guard.

Sweat dripped down Luo Qingyang's brow as she got to work. She gave Pan Wukun an antidote and wrapped her arm, shoulder, and chest in bandages.

Luckily, Luo Qingyang finished medical treatment and covered Pan Wukun's chest before Wei Wuxian returned with the other cultivators.

Wei Wuxian rushed over to Pan Wukun's side immediately. "Luo-guniang, what's Pan Chun's condition?"

Luo Qingyang smiled. "Don't worry, he'll live."

Wei Wuxian sighed in relief.

The only other YunmengJiang cultivators who were able to come were Jiang Fengmian and those who cultivated the transportation pathway and used transportation talismans. They found the remains of cultivators devoured by the spider demons. They planned to perform the rites to put their spirits to rest later.

Wei Wuxian crouched next to Pan Wukun and cradled her in his arms.

Jiang Fengmian stood next to Wei Wuxian. "How is your friend, A-Xian?"

"He's okay, Uncle Jiang! He's okay!" The relief was clear in Wei Wuxian's voice.

"Pan Wukun? Oh! Thank goodness you survived!"

Wei Wuxian turned his head to see an older brown-haired boy walking towards him and Pan Wukun. "Who are you?"

The boy saluted. "Kang Chen, courtesy name: Xieren. An old friend of Pan Wukun's."

Still holding Pan Wukun, Wei Wuxian couldn't salute. So he could only give Kang Xieren a respectful nod. "Wei Ying, courtesy name: Wuxian. Pan Wukun's best friend!"

Kang Xieren smiled. "A pleasure to meet you, Wei-gongzi." He looked over at the nearby boss spider demon's corpse. "So you are the one who killed the head eight-legged spider demon along with Pan Wukun."

Wei Wuxian's arms tightened around Pan Wukun. "Yes. It was tough. But we managed to beat it."

Kang Xieren nodded. "Impressive."

Jiang Fengmian said, "We need to take Pan Wukun to get treatment in Lotus Pier. The purified waters and plants should completely cleanse the venom from his body."

Kang Xieren stepped forward. "Wei-gongzi! I could carry-"

Wei Wuxian held a hand up, stopping Kang Xieren. "It's okay! I could carry Pan Wukun! You focus on resting, Kang-gongzi!"

Kang Xieren blinked and stepped back. "All right, Wei-gongzi."

Wei Wuxian picked up Pan Wukun, holding her carefully in his arms. His hair ribbon was still tied around her arm so his hair remained loose. His bare arms were exposed since he cut his sleeves to escape the spider demon's web earlier. To onlookers, it appeared as if a ragged war-torn Wei Wuxian was carrying his lover out of battle.

Heading out of the forest and onto one of the transport wagons Jiang Fengmian paid for, Wei Wuxian gently lay Pan Wukun on a makeshift bed. He sat beside her and grasped her hand, relieved to find it still warm. He gently squeezed her hand. "You'll be okay, Chun-ge. I promise."

-------------------

"What were you thinking? Letting Wei Wuxian run off in the middle of training like that?"

Yu Ziyuan glared at Jiang Fengmian. "Wasting transportation talismans as well! The YunmengJiang sect can't just go solving every random cultivators' problems!"

Yu Ziyuan, Jiang Fengmian, and Wei Wuxian were having a private discussion in a meeting room.

Yu Ziyuan had been training Jiang Cheng when they got the news that Wei Wuxian had suddenly left on a rescue mission. She forbade Jiang Cheng from following Wei Wuxian. "We can't risk you dying!" she had told him.

Jiang Fengmian frowned but kept calm. "Wei Wuxian was saving his friend. He also upholds the duty of helping others as the YunmengJiang sect should."

Yu Ziyuan scowled. "You are always defending Wei Wuxian's decisions!"

Yu Ziyuan asked Wei Wuxian sternly, "Wei Wuxian! Was it worth risking your life to save this rogue cultivator?"

"Yes," Wei Wuxian said without hesitation.

The intensity in Wei Wuxian's eyes made Yu Ziyuan pause.

What was so special about this rogue cultivator to Wei Wuxian?

"Consider your choices carefully, Wei Wuxian. Such recklessness does not present the YunmengJiang sect well."

"Yes, Madam Yu..."