The Pursuit of Knowledge, Part Seven

"Today, we will be covering combat!"

Lan Qiren had taken the guest disciples out to an open field for the day's combat lesson. Both male and female disciples were present.

This surprised Pan Wukun. But she supposed that there were many of Lan Qiren's lessons that weren't covered after Wei Wuxian was kicked out of the Cloud Recesses in canon.

Lan Qiren must've given these combat lessons so often in the past that he paired everyone up in no time.

Pan Wukun with Qin Su.

Luo Qingyang with Jiang Yanli.

Jiang Cheng with Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian with Nie Huaisang.

Meng Xingyao with Jin Zixuan.

Lan Qiren placed his arm out. "Ready..."

Everyone got into fighting positions, their hands hovering near their swords.

"Begin!" Lan Qiren shouted.

Jin Zixuan gritted his teeth as Meng Xingyao's sword clashed against his.

Meng Xingyao relentlessly attacked Jin Zixuan with all of his might, refusing to go easy to save the pride of his pampered sect heir half-brother.

Fanhua spun and changed shape, wrapping around Suihua.

"What?!" Jin Zixuan cried.

Fanhua wrenched Suihua out of Jin Zixuan's grasp. After Suihua fell to the ground, Fanhua pushed against Jin Zixuan's chest, knocking him to the ground.

"End match! The victor is Meng Xingyao!"

Jin Zixuan stood up, wiping the dirt off his robes.

"You fought well, Meng-xiushi. Not many people could use a soft sword so skillfully," Jin Zixuan said without a hint of condescension and sarcasm.

Meng Xingyao paused, unsure how to feel about Jin Zixuan being sincere in praising his abilities. Why wasn't Jin Zixuan acting arrogant like he expected him to? Jin Zixuan didn't even pull any dirty moves when he fought him.

"...Thank you. You fought well too, Jin-gongzi," Meng Xingyao managed to say as he sharply turned his head away.

Meanwhile, Pan Wukun clashed swords with Qin Su.

Qin Su panted. "I don't recognize your sword style from any of the major sects! Which sect is it from?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?!"

"My master never told me."

"Your master is that secretive?!"

The two of them talked casually as they swung their swords.

Then Pan Wukun moved like a blur, hitting Qin Su's hand hard with the butt of Yuyun.

"Ah!" Qin Su was forced to let go of her sword. Her sword was tossed in the air and it fell, piercing into the ground.

Pan Wukun pointed Yuyun at Qin Su.

"End match! The victory goes to Pan Wukun!"

Qin Su looked at Pan Wukun with wide eyes, stunned at what she just did. Then she pointed at Pan Wukun. "I declare you my rival, Pan Wukun!"

Pan Wukun blinked. "Huh?! Um..."

Qin Su walked up to Pan Wukun, looking into her eyes with determination. "I'll best you in sword fighting one day! Just you wait!"