The Pursuit of Knowledge, Part Two

"Xingyao! It's so good to see you!"

"Minshan!"

Su She excitedly rushed up to Meng Xingyao. "You're a guest disciple now, Xingyao! How fortunate!"

It was obvious to Meng Xingyao how happy Su She was about this new development. It meant that they could spend more time together.

Meng Xingyao and Su She clasped each other's hands in greeting.

"Ever since I no longer saw you walking around the Cloud Recesses, I have been so worried about you, Xingyao."

Meng Xingyao had holed himself up in his room after his encounter with Jin Zixuan, not wanting to run into him again.

Meng Xingyao smiled at Su She. "Well, I'm right here in front of you. Safe and sound." Then he began walking up the path. "We should head to the Library Pavilion together, Minshan."

Su She happily agreed.

The GusuLan librarians were very cordial to Meng Xingyao, especially after he helped Lan Xichen carry some boxes of books a while ago.

A librarian whispered to his coworker, "Meng Xingyao is so well-mannered! Hard to believe he's associated with that book thief, Pan Wukun!"

Meng Xingyao smiled amiably, all while thinking, Oh dear, Wukun-ge...

Meng Xingyao and Su She checked out some books and left the Library Pavilion. They were surprised to see Lan Xichen standing outside.

"Meng Xingyao, how are your studies?" Lan Xichen asked.

"Lan-xiansheng is a teacher worthy of his prestige." In reality, Meng Xingyao actually believed Lan Qiren was well-educated but too rigid and inflexible. But that would've been too rude to say.

"That's good to hear." Lan Xichen was happy for Meng Xingyao. Then he smiled at Su She. "How is training, Su Minshan?"

"It's proceeding quite well, Zewu-jun!" Su She was flustered, not expecting Lan Xichen to even acknowledge him.

Noticing that Su She and Meng Xingyao were heading somewhere together, Lan Xichen stepped aside. "It was good seeing you both. I'll leave you two be."

As Lan Xichen left, Meng Xingyao and Su She sat under the magnolia tree near the Library Pavilion.

While Meng Xingyao studied books, Su She practiced playing his guqin.

Around each other, they were both at ease.

———————————————————

"Meng-xiushi!" Nie Huaisang called out.

Meng Xingyao turned to see Nie Huaisang with Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng. He greeted them politely.

Meng Xingyao knew that Nie Huaisang probably wanted to see him about their upcoming xiangqi match. But why was Wei Wuxian also coming up to him?

Wei Wuxian sidled up to Meng Xingyao. "So Meng-xiushi. You spend a lot of time with Chun-ge. Can you tell us more about him?"

Wei Wuxian, Nie Huaisang, and Jiang Cheng all leaned closer, eager to hear what Meng Xingyao had to say.

Meng Xingyao instantly understood. - Ah. So that's what they approached him for.

After the incident between Jin Zixuan and Wei Wuxian, Pan Wukun became the hottest topic of the Cloud Recesses.

Meng Xingyao couldn't just refuse to contribute to the gossip mill. He had to keep his fellow guest disciples, three members from two of the Great Sects appeased to maintain a good social reputation.