Scorch, Part One

Lan Wangji, Lan Xichen, Wei Wuxian, and Jin Zixuan had reached the top four in the archery competition just like in canon.

Pan Wukun hoped the sect leaders took her warnings seriously.

She was not going to reveal herself and risk the QishanWen sect's wrath.

She could help from the shadows. No one had to know it was her.

Pan Wukun received and answered letters from Xuhou, Sisi and the other courtesans at the brothel in Yunping City, and Meng Xingyao. She kept it secret from everyone that she had revealed the QishanWen sect's future schemes. Yes, even Pan Heng. They didn't need to worry about her. She didn't want to endanger them. She couldn't risk any of her letters being intercepted by the QishanWen sect.

Unfortunately for Pan Wukun's career as a rogue cultivator, her finances took a hit once the QishanWen sect rudely started closing off night-hunt territories.

Shit...

Ever since the Wens started cracking down on other cultivators, Pan Wukun put her sword away in her qiankun pouch and presented herself as a peasant.

Some of the smaller cultivation sects were already being annexed by the QishanWen sect. Pan Wukun felt guilt but it wasn't possible for her to warn every single sect out there. There was nothing else she could've done.

Pan Wukun decided to start traveling back to Xuhou, planning to wait until the Sunshot Campaign ended to continue her journey safely. She hadn't seen Pan Heng and the other villagers in years.

One day, upon entering a town on the way to Xuhou, Pan Wukun noticed the townspeople whispering fervently and looking at something.

She weaved through the crowd to see what the fuss was all about.

What she saw made her eyes bulge out of her head and her heart leap out of her chest.

"Lan Zhan!" Pan Wukun hissed. "What are you doing here?!"

Lan Wangji's eyes widened. He too was surprised to see Pan Wukun. "A night-hunt."

"Why?" Pan Wukun asked. Why would the GusuLan sect let Lan Wangji go out even after she warned them?

Hmmm...she supposed it would be unusual if Lan Wangji, one of the Twin Jades, suddenly stopped going out on night-hunts. The QishanWen sect would have gotten suspicious if the other Great Sects' prominent heirs and disciples suddenly stopped going out on night-hunts, even the ones outside of their regions.

"I had been out on a night-hunt when the QishanWen sect started to close off night-hunt territories," Lan Wangji said.

"And now you've found yourself here in this town," Pan Wukun said.

Lan Wangji nodded.

Unbeknownst to Pan Wukun, Lan Wangji had received word from commoners that she was around in this area. He decided to follow her, concerned about her safety. He didn't want the Wens to hurt her. He just wanted to see her again.

"So are you trying to get back to the Cloud Recesses?" Pan Wukun asked.

"Yes," Lan Wangji said.

Pan Wukun internally groaned. She had to make sure the QishanWen sect didn't catch Lan Wangji out here. They could kill him or take him hostage.

Pan Wukun sighed. "The QishanWen cultivators have been going around many regions outside of Qishan lately. It's dangerous if they spot you, Lan Zhan! Quick! Follow my lead!"

-------------------

Pan Wukun had Lan Wangji pay one of the townspeople to give some peasants' clothes to him.