27 • Alone • 27

a·lone

/əˈlōn/ adjective

1. having no one else present.

~

Midoriya stayed close behind (F/n) until she kicked the last vent cover open, allowing the outside light to hit their skin. They let their eyes adjust to the evening sun and Midoriya slightly cringes. Had they been in the prison for that long? It only felt like he was in there for a few moments.

(F/n) practically dives out of the building, her mind slightly crazed. She rolls, landing safely on her feet and Midoriya follows behind her less excitingly as he awkwardly tumbled out of the vents. The concrete digs into the palms of his hands and he winces.

"Where are they?" He hears the woman mutter, causing him to look up from his spot on the ground. He watches as her eyes scan the area carefully and he does the same. It was obvious no one else was out there, but the young hero couldn't shake away an uncomfortable feeling.

Something felt off. It felt wrong.
And it wasn't something you could put into words, but there was a sense of dread surrounding it. It was a deep sense of unease that just screamed at Midoriya immediately. And yet no matter how hard he tried, his brain wouldn't connect the dots.

He didn't have any more time to think as (F/n) walks to the edge of the building before stepping off.

When her feet hit the ground, (F/n) bites her tongue in frustration. She pats her pockets, shoves her hand in the fabric folds, and knits her eyebrows together. She was out of seeds? What the hell did she do to Bakugou that resulted in her using the last of the seeds?

If she couldn't use her quirk, then she'd rely on her fighting skills. "There's no way they could've just disappeared off this fucking island," she says to no one in particular. The white clouds cover the sun, sending a quick chill through her body, and the sky remains lightly shaded.

She walks around, peering in each direction she can think of, but other than the boy with tussled green hair, there wasn't anyone else.

She kicks her foot against the grass, but her shoes are covered in a thick layer of ash. "What the fuck is this?" She mutters to herself as she runs her hand along the top layer that coated the ground until her fingers pick up hard material.

"This... this is a fucking skull," she says with wide eyes and drops the bone. The color drains from her face as she notices more lumps under the ash. "Those, they're... they're all bones."

Midoriya watched as (F/n) took a couple of steps back before tripping over a skeleton and falling. His eyes widened in fear, heart pounding in his burning chest.

Someone burned them alive. Someone killed them and (F/n) couldn't save them. She felt dizzy and her eyes stung with tears and her head throbbed. She stared at her hands that lay limp in her lap. "I'm fucking weak, I'm so fucking weak." She looked up to Midoriya who was at her side instantly. "I was too slow, I... I couldn't save them."

(F/n) looked defeated, empty. Her shoulders were hunched and she had a haunted expression etched across her features as she stares up at him. She reminded Midoriya of how Bakugou did in his first year of high school.

"These people needed my help and all I did was rush their death." Tears streamed down her cheeks as she looked at her shaking hands once again. "They died because I couldn't protect them." Midoriya felt useless as he stared helplessly at her. He couldn't even imagine what was going through her head.

Her hands fall to the ground and she closes her eyes before letting out a small sigh. "They deserved so much better than this." She pushes herself off the ground while dusting her hands off and apologizing. "I don't have time to sit here and feel pathetic. You and your classmates need to leave America before anyone else gets hurt or... dies."