III

THREE

"What do you mean you got a wife for me? You speak as if you just went to the store and got groceries. " The surprise was still on Abisade's face

"Exactly what I said. We found someone for you. She is well brought up and represents everything responsible."

"Wait! Are you guys serious? This time and age you got me a wife?"

"That is the only way we can get what we want." His mother replied looking at him as if he ought to understand better.

"What we or what you want?" Abisade emphasized trying not to raise his voice. "Who shops for a wife?"

"Look at it son, we spent all our years working, something as simple as cohabiting with someone shouldn't stop you from achieving your dreams or being at the helm of affairs."

"I dont like this at all, and I will not get married simply because you want to ..."

"Then consider yourself disinherited"  his mother cut in angrily

Abisade was shaken. He looked at his mother, everything he felt as plain as a paper written all over him.

"I mean it," She said. For once put this family first. We have done that several times. Just this one time for you to take the mantle you are refusing because it will affect your lifestyle."

Abisade looked on in silence.

"I am telling you your father's health is failing, and we need the assurance that when he leaves, you will be able to stand in his place. Your brother is picking up his end but with you, it's always a form of resistance or the other."

"Calm down Folake," his father admonished, he gently stroked her thigh.

"We can no longer watch him live his life like no man's business. I have said to him severally to live responsibly. I am not saying don't have fun, but be responsible about it. If you had a stable relationship, that alone would have worked in your favour but no you would rather go through women as if you are spending money." She eyed his seated form.

"At your age, your father and I were married."

"Your life is different from..."

"If I hear one more thing from you young man" Mrs Crown threatened.

"Son, don't argue with your mother." His father cut in.

"Let him argue," she told her husband.

"Who is she?" Abisade asked suddenly. She could be one of their business partners. Maybe he was a pawn in a business deal and they were just using his father's health as an excuse.

"That's my son," his father commended.

"She is a girl of good standing. She is a medical doctor and almost done with her housemanship. We have arranged everything. The marriage doesn't have to be a loud one unless both of you want one."

Abisade nodded and stood up from the sofa.

A medical doctor. Probably one of the girls his mother has been grooming to take her place as queen of the dynasty when she retires. He  hoped the girl understands what she has signed for.

"Where are you going?"

"Home. I am done, right? I have three months to prepare my life for forever, don't I? I need to wrap my head around this."

"Folake please excuse us," His father persuaded.

She looked from son to father and made a face at her husband to which He nodded before she exited the office.

"Come and seat son." He tapped the space beside him.

Abisade reluctantly went back to take the seat.

"We are doing this for you and your brother." His father started.

"You are getting me shackled to someone I don't even know."

"If not for my health..."

"About that, can you tell me what the doctor said?"

"You don't need to know about that but be rest assured that I'll be fine. The doctor said I need to take a break. Taking the break includes not worrying about my business. That is why I want both of you at the helm of affairs."

"Why does mother make it seem as if you are dying."

He shrugged. "Your mother is just worried."

"Give me an idea of what the diagnosis is, I am not a baby, I can handle anything"

"It's nothing I can not handle"

"Can you at least tell me about the girl then?"

"Well, I am putting together everything you need to know about her before we meet with the family officially. We need someone with good standing like her to convince the board. Not your usual kind of woman."

"What do you mean my usual kind of women?"

"You know what I mean. The set of women you club with."

"Dad some of them are executives and head corporations. You could have allowed me to choose my wife."

"Well, we have a better option. I don't think any of your "executive" friends can create the impression we want."

"I'll do it. He shrugged. It's not like I have an option."

"Thank you, son. I promise you she's a good girl. I met the father a long time ago but we met again a few years back, then one thing led to another and I thought of his daughter for you when this came up."

"I just hope she knows what she is getting into. I don't do love or the mushiness that comes with being married."

"You should at least try,  don't go into the marriage with such a mind."

"What else? I don't even know her. We'll probably sign an agreement because this is just a business arrangement for me no matter the kind of nuptial document we sign."

"I advise you to take your time to wrap your head around it. She is good academically and I hope it will apply to every area of her life."

"Whatever, I need to leave."

His friends would laugh at him. He knew for a fact. First things first, he needed to meet with the girl. There is nothing money cannot do. His parents are probably offering her money to do this. She needed to know that been married to her will not affect his life in any way. He doesnt mind paying her more than what she is getting from his parents to keep up the facade. He can not shackle himself to someone just because his parents think it will do well for business.

That's what they have done all their life. With them, the business comes first. He doesn't want to continue his own life like that.

He was simply agreeing to this because of his father's health. Only God knows what the old man is battling with and they seem to habe decided to keep it to themselves. His mother's agitation is enough reason for him to worry. Nothing weighs Folake Crown down. Growing up she always seemed to be in control.

He hoped for the best and sincerely wish everything is fine in terms of his father's health like he claimed. If his marriage would help, so be it.