XI

"We have done the analysis and all the tests came back negative." Dr. Ify hurried after Naomi with a medical file in her hand. "I have reported to the M.D and given a feedback on the reluctance of the patient to be subjected to more tests. His mother is not the nicest patient even though she is not the one on the bed. She makes it seem as if we are not doing anything.

I have taken time to go through his chart and the previous tests conducted, nothing is out of place apart from the blood pressure that spikes at intervals. The M.D is thinking of talking to the senior doctors and maybe invite specialists but how do we even do that when we cannot tell where the problem is yet."

Naomi sighed as she matched pace with her Colleague towards the patient's room. Even though her shift was over, the patient had been unresponsive to the medical personnel assigned to him. She was called on because they seemed to have a form of rapport.

Kamsi as he preferred to be called has been in and out of their hospital for some weeks now with no medical evidence of illness. They met by chance during ward round with one of her supervisors and she had chatted with him briefly. He looked like a mischievous young man who wanted to be anywhere but the hospital if not for a persistent mother.

"Maybe it is world people," Dr. Ify giggled

"Not you too Ify," Naomi was forced to laugh.

"If it was my mother, that is what she'll ask because she feels that anything that science cannot define is world people. The patient doesn't want to be subjected to more tests and I get it. The guy said he is tired of the poking and prodding which is why I called on you as back up. You seem to be the only one he likes."

"We'll find out how we can help," she responded as they entered they made their way into the private suites

Although the hospital rooms were upscale to the taste of their clientele, there were suites designed like homes for patients who wanted such services. The plush carpet absorbed the sound of their heels as they walked down the hallway.

"Hello Kamsi," she smiled at him.

He was flipping through the cable channels, a tray of untouched meal at the foot of his bed, while the two sofas in the room were empty except for a discarded basketball short.

He looked in her direction and smiled back

"Is it that you don't like the meals we offer or you are watching your weight?" she teased

"Pfft. Food is the least of my problems but, what can I do? My mother insisted that I have to be here, or she's going to assume that I am out for her peace of mind"

"I am of the opinion that you just come here to see me."

"Nope, I am a direct kind of guy. You are all that but if I want something more from you, I will tell you."

"Really? Maybe the nurses or the view"

"Don't start with me Dr. Aguda."

"We need to talk Kamsi, and it is a serious conversation."

"I will give you some time to talk, maybe come back in about thirty minutes" Ify excused herslf.

"I can tell my mother gets on her nerves," Kamsi smiled as the door closed behind the Doctor.

"I think she understands that your mother is worried, any mother would be if she has a child coming in and out of the hospital."

"I have told her it will go away, I just don't feel like eating most times and I don't know why," he shrugged

"Kamsi tell me everything you are feeling, it may help in our investigation."

"I don't know how to explain it really. It is nothing physical as I don't feel pain or any out of place swelling or reduction. I started feeling like this a while ago but it became more intense during this last year in school."

"What is the feeling like?"

"I just didn't feel like putting effort into anything again. I was top in class and it didn't even matter again. Doing things I love became a kinda chore."

"Back up a bit"

Okay?

"What were those things you used to do that gave you the "ginger" she quoted

"For one, I loved challenges, I am one of the few straight A students in my class and I loved the competition. I loved to party."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I love the contrast," he smirked bookworm and party rocker."

"And the girls?" She winked at him

"They came naturally na as a sweet boy that I am."

"Does your mother know about this?"

"As long as it doesn't affect my academics, She's good"

"So when last did you go for a party?"

"I can't even remember. I don't think I attended anyone this concluded semester in school. It just didn't matter anymore."

"What did not matter?"

"I don't know, everything. He shrugged"

"When you don't know anything I wonder how you passed in school."

"Now you gerrit."

"Do usually travel back here for your holidays?"

"Not usually. I prefer to work during the holidays but felt coming back home will give me the vibes I need get back to my routine but it's just not working."

"Did something happen the last time you were home?'

"Nothing major, I couldn't even hang out with my siblings because everyone was mourning my dad"

"Wow, sorry about your loss."

"It's okay"

"Were you close to him?"

"He was my "Gee", he responded wistfully. "Can we not talk about him for now?"

"It's fine."

Naomi was trying to make deductions while she looked for the best way to approach Kamsi. It was more of a mental thing from her point of view and just maybe Kamsi was not aware of it. Maybe he was still battling the loss and had not allowed himself to grieve or he felt the need to work harder now that his father was no more.

"Do you feel any kind of pressure from your mom to be a certain way?"

"That's a story for another day, especially since dad died"

"Please, talk to me Kamsi, I may be able to help."

"How? I have been in and out of this place since I got back on this break with no clear diagnosis, my mother insists I have to be here as if I care and the worst thing is trying to blackmail me emotionally saying I want to leave her the way dad did, pfft"

"Calm down Kamsi, I feel that you need some form of help but it may not be from us."

"Meaning?"

"I feel that you are going through a mental phase and because you are not giving the attention it needs, it has spilled into your physical health. The fluctuating Blood pressure, the lack of appetite, the fact that you longer find joy in the things you used to enjoy. This is not a diagnosis but I'd love for you to see a psychologist."

"I appreciate you Dr. Aguda but I don't think I want to be a science pig to anyone. I am sure I will get over all these with time."

"It's fine if you do not buy into the idea now but I want you to consider it. Mental health is key even though we do not pay attention to it. Every now and then I see the vibrant young man that you are peeking. I would love to meet that part of you."

"Thank you. I appreciate you coming around to see me."

Meaning I should leave you alone right?