XII

"Sincerely, I do not fancy these designs. I don't care about the beauty of the exterior, although this leaves some questions, what it has to offer is more important for me." Abisade expressed angrily. Although he could not pinpoint the source of irritation, however, it worsened when his younger brother joined the meeting for the proposed presentation of the building designs for their real estate company.

"Sir..."

"In as much as we are trying to maximize the use of space," He continued ignoring the young presenter at the other edge of the conference table. Whoever is going to live there should not feel as if they are squeezing themselves into the space. It is a luxury apartment, it should ooze superfluity and not austerity to prospective owners."

"We put that into consideration, sir, that is why we added a few more meters of space here," he pointed at the picture on the screen.

"You are not listening to me, go back to the previous slides," Abisade directed

"Yeah, right there." He pointed. "There should be a bit more space between the second exit and the fence at least big enough to accommodate a few people in case of a barbeque, make a few hoops, hang out with friends under a star-filled sky, do you understand what I am saying? This is not a village townhouse."

"Yes... yes sir, but.. It will take away the extra room we added to each apartment on the ground floor."

"That's fine. Luxury should be comfortable."

"Okay sir, we will work on it and send you the final changes as soon as possible."

"That should not take long right? I will be out of the country next week and I'd like to finish up with this before I leave."

"Sir,..."

"I want it before I leave and..."

"You can leave Mr. Lateef, just call me with an update if you are unable to meet up," Sanmi interrupted for the first time since the presentation ended.

Mr Lateef nodded in Sanmi's direction while trying to nudge his colleagues to pack up the materials used for the presentation. He watched through the screen as both brothers exited the room.

"Are you angry about something I do not know?" Sanmi asked, trying to match his brother's strides in the hallway leading

"Why are you here?"

"Dad called me to insist that I attend this meeting."

"So now I am not capable of attending to company matters on my own?"

"What exactly are you angry about? This is not my first time sitting in your meetings except Popsy has hassled you about the current gossip tales on certain blogs about your escapades." Sanmi tried to tease

"Don't get me started bro."

"You already started and I had nothing to do with it. Let me guess, is the wife angry too?"

"As if?" He responded as He opened the door. His secretary stood up immediately to welcome them and collect his iPad and phone but he waved her off.

"What do you mean?" Sanmi insisted as they entered his office. "You are a married man guy and you should be about pleasing the "you know"

"Point of correction, She is not mine," he responded and slammed the door after his brother,

He went to the intercom and dialled his secretary, Hold all calls and tell my P.A to get the driver ready for the 2 p.m. meeting. He dropped the handset before he got a response.

Sanmi took a seat opposite his brother and looked at him squarely

"What?" Abisayo asked setting his iPad on the large table that separated him from his brother.

"I am waiting for you to tell me."

"I do not appreciate you meddling in my affairs"

"How? I already told you father wanted me here."

"The other time it was you taking Naomi home from the venue of the wedding, now you picking her up from school for the weekend," He shrugged

"Can you hear yourself AB? I should have left her at the venue of the wedding when you ignored her and were having the time of your life with your friends. We know that you did not want the marriage but I feel you should have done better."

"Oh! So because I am married, I should ignore my friends and well-wishers, what does that say about me?"

"Don't even go there, Sanmi raised his hand, how many of your friends did you inform about the wedding? I only sighted a few of them and only one or two of them are not married."

"Why are you preaching to me as if you are a saint yourself? The other day..."

"I am not married neither am I committed to anyone." Sanmi interrupted. "That is the difference between us right now.

"She is fully aware of what she got herself into before she married me, I don't have the time to impress her and I do not plan to."

"Then why are you angry?"

"I don't owe her anything," Abisade insisted

"Then don't add to her problems"

"Oh! You are the emissary, right? She sent you to talk to me. I thought she said she doesn't care."

Sanmi heaved a deep sigh and stood up from the chair

"I don't think you are in the right frame of mind to listen to any reason. I will leave you till you come back to yourself," he said and made his way to the door.

"I don't want you making her feel comfortable, she probably thinks she has an ally in you. It is my house, my rules."

"After how many months of being married? Whatever man, whatever." He responded before he shut the door behind him

Abisade paced the length of his office trying to walk off his anger before his next meeting. He checked his wristwatch and noticed he still had about 20 minutes to himself. Trying not to focus on what he perceived to be the source of his anger.

They have been married for close to five months now and have separate routines. Not only is their partnership disrupting his lifestyle, with his mother insisting they come to the house together for random visits when he ought to be out having fun, but now he is at loggerheads with his closest ally, his brother. He didn't sign up for this when he agreed to wed her. His mother insists he takes Naomi with him for his trip and convinces her to stay at home rather than the accommodation the hospital provided for her. That was the least of his concerns right now. He maintained his house parties on selected Fridays which is one of the reasons why he is on the blogs right now and probably raising the hackles of his parents.

He heard a ping from his phone and picked up to check.

"Talk of the devil," he muttered

"Hello Abisade, I was informed by your mother that I am expected to make an appearance with you at an event in New York, however, I have given her my excuses and I am using this medium to inform you as well. I will not be in the house this weekend and the next due to a prior arrangement"

As if I care he thought and flung the phone on the sofa with intensified anger.