XVI

Naomi groaned as she tried to ignore the knock on her bedroom door again. The preparation for her service year has been more tedious than expected. Coupled with the temporary handing over happening at the hospital.

"I know you are in there so open up before I break the door."

She looked forward to her rest this morning with her big luxurious bed all to herself. She had been working all night at work and because it was Abisade's party weekend she had opted to stay back at the hospital till dawn so that she could have her beauty sleep. She searched the bed with her eyes closed for her phone. It was 1 p.m., meaning she only had four hours of sleep.

"Sanmi I just got home this morning," she grumbled "I need my beauty sleep."

"As if I care, I am only knocking because I don't want to see what my brother paid for trust me I am not that nice and you know."

"What happened to the fans you had over at your house?"

"You are my favourite of them all."

"You wish. Give me a few minutes to get decent," she grunted

"Just what I wanted to hear."

Naomi scrambled out of her bed to find something to put on. She had pulled off her clothes and left them at the foot of the bed when she got in earlier. She did a short search through the closet drawer and found a short and she looked around and decided to pair it with the t- t-shirt she dumped on the dresser. She checked the mirror to see if it was obvious she didn't have a bra on and decided to don a robe. She pulled one off the hanger. She didn't trust Sanmi to be patient enough for her to look for a bra.

"Are you going to open the door or I should pick the lock? You are sleeping late so is your husband isn't that odd?"

"Why don't you go and bother him then?" she asked opening the door and ignoring his insinuation.

"You are easy prey," he smiled at her holding his arms out for a hug.

"I just love the smell of your room," he sniffed. "Is it your perfume or a candle?"

"I should tell you so that you can go and buy it for your female fans."

"I wouldn't do that to you," he laughed boisterously. He picked up the remote on her dresser and switched on the TV.

Naomi went back to lying on the bed, "I don't want the noise and the brightness please."

"It is noon madam and we cannot be on this bed together and you will be sleeping," Sanmi said settling in and flipping through channels

"It is my room, Adesanmi."

"You sound like my mother. That's not the issue for me anyway. You promised me lunch and I am here to collect."

"On Saturday after pulling an all night at work Adesanmi?"

"Naomi Abisade –Crown, a promise is a promise."

"How did I meet you again? I am looking forward to travelling for service. It is because of you that I am leaving Lagos."

"You will miss me though."

"Pfft. Is your brother aware that you are here?"

"Are you scared he will think you are cheating on him with me?"

"Get your mind out of the gutter."

"He is not picking up his calls."

"You should have called me too."

"Why bother when I can just knock on the door? I changed my mind, let's go out for lunch."

"I want to sleep."

"You can sleep when you get back. You will be leaving during the week and I won't see you."

"I have to pack for travel."

"You can have the staff do that for you later or is that a code for I want to spend more time with my husband?" He winked.

"Can you leave me alone?"

"I will not dress up let's go out."

"God knew what he was doing when he did not give you a younger sibling," she hissed.

"HE has a sense of humor you know, because he sent you to me."

"You are only two years older."

"Can you buy... Oh, that's my brother," He said staring at the phone beside him. "I think he is awake." He stood up from the bed and dropped her remote.

"I will just wait for you in the living room, you dare not lock up and go back to bed. I will break the door down," he glared at her as she walked backwards to the door.

Naomi could not resist the bubble of laughter that surfaced. He kept glaring till he disappeared.

She enjoyed time spent with Sanmi who is the naughtiest adult she's ever met. He fits perfectly into the role of an elder brother, sending lunch to her office randomly, visiting their house to check on her and just like today forcing her to go out because he thinks she's a hermit. He had spoken to her several times about reaching a compromise with her husband which has led to both of them being at least cordial. She could tell that he loved his brother, their bond was enviable even though he tried his best to be in her corner sometimes. He made her feel good sometimes when Abisade got on her nerves. Even when she insisted that she was not going to spend the allowance Abisade provided monthly, he told her that it was like glaring at someone who is blind. "He is your husband and it is his responsibility to cater to your needs." She could not help but smile thinking about their random conversations.

She walked into her closet to search for an outfit, the sleep finally gone from her eyes. Kicking aside the luggage she was preparing for her three-week trip, she reached for a pair of shorts and a blouse one of which Imade designed for her. She loved the fringe on the sides of the shorts and the fact that it was a high band and the blouse sat just above the band.

She didn't fancy the show of legs but Imade made beautiful outfits for her in such a way that she rarely focused on the length but she tried to make sure her outfits were not too short.

Or maybe she should wear a dress. She forgot to ask where they'd be going. She settled on the shorts to pair with a pair of sneakers Sanmi bought for her from one of his friend's girlfriend. He said the girl practically forced him to buy and since his mom was out of the question, Naomi came to mind. She spread out the clothes on the bed and walked to the bathroom.