XIII

"Imade, I no longer understand these gifts you are sending to me, you have said thank you countless times. I should be saying thank you for giving me those lovely outfits. I loved the shorts, especially the one with the fringe. I didn't know I'd like them."

"I need to thank you especially," Imade insisted while placing a glass cup and wine bottle on a stool in her living room that also doubled as her workspace.

"When I posted the first set of pictures, I did not know it was going to receive acceptance like that, I got a lot of mentions on my page and I wondered why. A friend suggested that I create a business page which I did, she even promoted some of the pictures. By the time I posted the second batch of professional pictures and dropped your full name like this, my DM filled up."

Naomi was glad she could help although she had been reluctant at first about the name but Imade had persuaded her and explained how much publicity it would provide.

"I am thinking of exploring elegant party wear too and taking advantage of the number of followers we are getting, the impressions are massive."

"That's inspiring. I hope you will still have time to sew for me though, with this your new celebrity status."

"I have not achieved celebrity status yet but believe me when I say you are my top priority, a river that forgets its source will dry up.

I don't have an excuse, I look up to you and my sis making waves and I wanted to do the same in my field. I have a lot to prove to my parents."

"You don't have to prove anything, just do your best."

"Sis I think you are talking like this because you are a Medical doctor. I lost a relationship because I didn't attend a University."

"That's a lie. This is not the Stone Age for goodness sake. Some people do not have Certificates these days and have surpassed Ph.D. holders with their accomplishments."

"Tell that to my parents especially now that my sister is almost a licensed doctor. I have not lived down the refusal to go to College."

"Don't let anybody make you feel less about yourself. Your parents will get it eventually. A guy that has a University certificate on his checklist for marriage is not ready yet." She face palmed herself. "What is this world turning to?"

"Thank you, sis."

"It's the truth, some of us who have certificates had to make huge sacrifices."

"I am making sacrifices too only that mine is not appreciated because it is not geared towards earning a certificate. All mallam to their kettles."

"This adage reminds me of a girl I am trying to enroll for a vocation. Can she learn from you? I don't mind paying her fees"

"Which girl?"

"Our housekeeper's daughter. She wrote her secondary school exams months ago but didn't make some papers, and her mother does not care that much. Some of them think working for the rich is an achievement. The girl is too young to be roaming the street."

"I can try sis but the question is how willing is she? Some of the young girls are content with getting handouts from boys rather than learn a vocation at least some of the girls I trained with were that way."

"I will talk to her, I am sure she will want to earn her own money someday. It is the right thing to do. We should always aim to be better than our parents."

"That aside, where is your sister, I have been calling her line but she is not picking up her phone. I told her I'll be here by 11 a.m. and she promised to join me."

"She is probably on her way or almost here."

"I still have to go for driving lessons today."

"Low-key, I wish I was in your shoes, maybe I would not be trying this hard."

Naomi could tell that her sister did not hint her about the situation surrounding her marriage. Even though the news of the nuptial was later publicized, she tried to stay off social media and all their cook-up stories about how they met and the intricacies involved in their marriage.

Even though her siblings were expecting a change of status as a result of the connection, she was quick to inform them that she would only give them what she could afford and not what they felt her status could afford.

An account had been set up in her new name even though she had refused to change her name at the hospital. Only a handful of people at work knew her connection to her husband because she wanted it that way.

She looked at her smartwatch when a notification popped up. It was Sanmi reminding her of her driving lessons.

The perks of having someone who cares.

Sanmi was her favourite of her new family because she rarely saw their father, although he had been in and out of the country since their wedding four months ago.

She tried to stay away from their mother as much as possible because she didn't want to be anybody's extension even though the woman tried to push her on some errands. Sometimes she rebelled, sending silent messages to the woman that she wanted to live her life on her terms, marriage to her son was enough concession to last her a lifetime.

The trip to New York for example. They had argued about it when she insisted that she was supposed to appear with her husband at the engagement to at least show support. She had made it compulsory for her to join the committee in charge of the Crown Holdings CSR. They were planning to put up a structure in the hospital.

"I am so sorry for keeping you waiting," Seun cut into her thought bursting into the room.

"You better be, I need to be at home early."

"I thought you said your husband travelled."

"Yeah, but I have an appointment with a lady who is coming to brief me about the family project. Something in conjunction with Manslad hospital and my mother-in-law wants me to be a part of it."

"Oh! That's good. Just call me for anything that involves any extra earnings. We must make this money together."

"Not you too"

"It's true darling, my friend is rich so I must be too."