XV

"How many months till the end of your housemanship?"

"I am wrapping up in a few weeks, and I go for youth service in five weeks or less."

"What are your plans?"

"I get my license before the posting if possible then go for the three weeks in camp and hopefully get a good place of primary assignment."

"PPA?" Mrs Crown frowned, "what about the hospital? Dr Majidun assured me that you have a placement with them already as soon as you are ready to resume."

"I start my job with them after the National Youth Service."

"I am confused where do you intend to spend the service year?"

"Oh! I am not sure yet, we should get the posting next week or so"

"What Abisade didn't you...?" he halted suddenly.

"Are okay?" His wife questioned when she noticed him wince.

"Dad?"

"I am good, I just felt a little discomfort in my chest for a minute but it's gone now."

Naomi was immediately at his side. "How do you feel right now?"

"It is much better. Don't go doctor mode on me," He teased

His wife looked at him worriedly.

"I am fine," he waved them off adjusting in his seat.

The dinner went on in silence for a few minutes. Naomi was not privy to his health status and did not think it was her place to ask. In addition to this was the fact that they probably had the best doctors and their fingertips and may consider her an amateur. Mrs Crown wouldn't joke about something as serious as her partner's health

"About your National Youth Service, your husband did not make calls on your behalf?"

"In his defence, I didn't ask him and I am not sure he is aware of the posting period for my set. I'd rather serve outside Lagos though."

"Young lady, I don't think you understand your position as Abisade's wife." His mother interrupted.

"I think... I do" She stuttered

"What happens to your home, the projects you are involved in, public appearances while you are away?"

"Allow her to talk dear, I think she has something to say."

"We have both agreed that marriage will not put an end to our individual lives," she started and looked at Abisade to corroborate her stance.

"If I am posted outside Lagos, I plan to travel down for breaks, my parents still stay in Lagos and I plan to visit them at intervals."

"And where do grandchildren feature in this your grand scheme?" She gesticulated

Sanmi Smirked

"It isn't funny young man."

"Calm down Mother."

"Don't tell me to be calm down Abisade, this is preposterous, life doesn't continue just like that, there is a reason she is seated here right now."

"Mom," he started as if pacifying a kid throwing a tantrum. "We are both adults and that is how we want to live our lives. We will find our way around public engagements that is what airplanes are for. She is not going to be away forever. You already said that Manslad is offering her employment, it is a matter of months."

Even though he was explaining to his mother, this is the first he'd heard his wife confirm that she wanted to go outside Lagos for her youth service.

He had deliberately restrained himself from asking for her details. Contrary to her defence of him, he knew that she was wrapping up her training but did not have the conversation with her because he wanted her to need him, she never did. After the initial intimidation, he tried with her, she drew out a routine for herself within the house and outside he imagined and maintained it.

Everything he's given her since the marriage had been forced on her. The account opened for her, but she didn't touch the money. His father had presented the car as a wedding gift. At one point, she was buying groceries for the house until his mother meddled. He had expected a sign of weakness from her at a point since their union but she seemed content to live a separate life. Her friend usually attended his party and even had friends among his friends now but his wife would rather stay away from the house whenever he had people over. She had sent him a text requesting that he inform her whenever he had a party so that she could give him as much space as he needed. On one hand, he was happy about the freedom, meaning nothing changed after the marriage, on the other hand, he couldn't put a word to how he felt about the independence and her carriage. Every girl he's dated has always depended on him for livelihood and he had expected her to toe the line. In his last serious relationship, his partner became a full-time girlfriend if there was something like that until he got tired and called it quits.

"Mother, it is a couple's thing, don't meddle in their affair"

"If you know so much about marriage, why are you not married?"

"Shots fired," Sanmi raised his hand in surrender.

"I want both of you to know that marriage is a lot of work, but you must be willing to put in the work. My wife and I were not always close but we found a way to make it work. You may not have met under the best circumstances but at least it is way better than meeting on the internet like your generation does these days."

"Serving outside Lagos is a no for me. Mrs Crown tutted. You have to redeploy."

"But ma,.."

"You need to present a united front at this stage, what message do you think travelling outside Lagos will send to the society? I don't want any form of scandal with all those girls that flock around him like a swarm of bees. The moment you are out of the house, they have free access."

"Abisade is an adult ma, and so am I. We have discussed this before and I do not have an issue with his friends coming around."

"Can you hear yourself talk? Have you seen the girls I am talking about, do you think they come around for just the drink and party, they..."

"Mother, my wife wants to go outside Lagos for her youth service and that is what she will do. If there will be any change, it will come from us and we will decide on the next step to take. I mean no disrespect to you and Dad but that is my final verdict on this topic."

The silence that followed the verdict was deafening.