XXI

Naomi walked away from the baggage area with her luggage and strolled towards the receiving area. She looked around to see if she could get help. She was too tired to drag the luggage by herself. She had taken enough time to rest after she was discharged from the hospital but she still felt tired when she exerted herself. Abisade had insisted that his driver would come and pick her up. He has been extra nice to her since the meeting, he even apologized for being rude to her. He had ordered flowers and meals to be delivered to her every day since the food poisoning. He offered to get a chef for the duration of her stay but she declined. She looked around again and prayed that the driver would be waiting for her rather than the other way around. She had insisted on coming home herself just in case he needed his driver for errands but thinking about it, it was a Saturday morning and he would probably be sleeping in after a night of party. She switched off the airplane mode and was surprised that the first message he received was a brief audio from Sanmi and it was not the usual banter. She thought he would be sleeping in too since he had told her he would be at their house for Sanmi's party and wait for her return.

"Dad was rushed to the hospital this morning, he had an attack. He has been taken in for an emergency surgery"

"What?" She hurriedly looked through her phone and called him. He didn't pick up the call, She looked around for the driver again and thankfully spotted him coming in her direction.

"Good morning ma," he greeted as he took over the pieces of luggage.

"Mr Crown said I should take you to the house to rest."

"No, take me to the hospital please."

"Your hospital?"

"No, where your boss is."

"I no know where dem dey, Na oga Sanmi carry my oga go this morning, even me sef, never arrive this morning before dem comot."

She dialed Sanmi's number but he was not picking up. Then she dialled her husband's number. It rang for a while before she heard his voice.

"Send me your location," she said before he started talking.

He sounded so low and troubled.

"Naomi, I need you to go home and rest first, you are still..."

"Send me the location of the hospital," she interrupted before he could finish as she hurried after the driver to the car.

"You are still recuperating, you don't have to..."

"What is the prognosis?"

"Pro what?"

"Oh! What are the doctors saying about the attack? The possible causes and predictions?"

"Well, he's had a mild one before according to mother. He was scheduled for surgery on their next trip out of the country but he collapsed this morning on his way to the washroom."

"Is the doctor around, can I talk to the doctor?"

"Not now, they are still with him. I cannot pronounce the medical term for what he has. Mother has been hiding it from us all this time."

"I am sure she had her reason for doing that, he will be fine." Naomi tried to assure him.

"I pray so. The doctors have been in and out of the suite where they placed him for some time now?"

"Is your mom okay?"

"She's holding up."

"Sanmi?"

"He is with mother. I stepped out of the waiting room to pick up your call."

"I am in the car now," she slammed the door and looked through the window to see the driver shutting the cargo compartment of the car. "I will be with you in a few minutes. I am sure he has the best hands to take care of him."

"It is scary, I must tell you, and they have not even allowed us to see him."

"I am sure he is getting all the help he needs. We need to remain calm for him and your mother, it will be over soon."

"Thank you, Naomi, I appreciate this."

"He has been a father to me too, so it is expected."

"All the same, thank you. How do feel?"

"I am fine, see you in a few minutes."

Naomi heaved a sigh as she ended the call. She opened the Google map for directions and activated the speaker of her phone.

She hoped it was something that could be managed, even if it would require surgery. The hospital is one of the best in the country and has A list cardiologists consulting for them. She sincerely hoped they would be fine

On her arrival at the magnificent institution, she sent a message to Abisade to meet up at the reception just in case they did not allow her in. You can never be too careful when it comes to the security of patients.

"Do you want to come in with me, or wait in the car?" She directed at the driver

"I will wait here ma."

She walked to the automatic doors that opened upon her arrival. There were two ladies at the reception dressed in pristine white shirts. She smiled as she approached both of them hoping that her smile would win them over and she won't have to spend too much time explaining her mission.

"Good afternoon ma'am the one to the right greeted. How may I be of help?"

Thankfully she had resisted the urge to wear her NYSC trousers this morning even though she had it laid out on the bed in her lodge. She had decided on two-piece joggers and complimented with a hat because she woke up too late to catch her early morning flight and couldn't take time to style her hair. People were quick to judge and classify based on outward appearance and she didn't want to be caught lacking. All these were her thoughts before the emergency

"I am Doctor Naomi Aguda, my father-in-law was brought in this morning."

"Just a minute please, I need to check the list of patients and their approved visitors."

"No problem, I understand. I have sent a message to my husband to meet me here though."

The other lady at the left who had ignored them looked to her.

"Do you mind spelling your surname," the lady looked at her for a second and back at the computer screen. "I don't seem to have anyone by the name."

"Oh! My bad, My father in law is Jonathan. D. Crown."

"What?" The second lady asked in surprise.

"We may need to see your I.D."

"All my Identity cards bear my maiden name sorry." She explained patiently

"Madam," the receptionist started trying not to suppress her irritation. "Anyone can walk in to claim any identity, I am sorry I need evidence that..."

"Naomi," Abisade called from the general direction she assumed to be the elevators.

She looked at the receptionist and waved her off, "Never mind."

She walked up to Abisade. As she got close to him, she could see the overnight shadow of bears and worry written all over his face. Being a doctor, she'd seen this look of despair on faces multiple times and all she could do was open up her arms to him in a warm hug.