𝟎𝟑⥋𝐌𝐲 𝐊𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐀𝐫𝐦𝐨𝐫

"It's the way it is, (Name)." My mother sighed, shooing me away.

"I'm not marrying him! I never will!"

"Bring them back to their room at once!" My mother shouted for the guards. Five hands grabbed onto my and dragged me back to my room.

My family arranged me a marriage with a prince from a neighboring country. My mother, the queen, wanted to form an alliance with our neighboring country, and she planned to do so by marrying me off to their prince.

He was a snob. We had met back three years ago when my mother insisted that I try to befriend him so he could say good things about me to his mother. She hoped that would bring the countries to good terms, but it didn't work. Now, she's just selling me off to them.

The door slammed shut behind me, leaving me alone in my room. My eyes started to burn with the tears, wishing that I could change my future. A soft knock came from my door, making me wipe the tears that had fallen down to my cheeks.

"Yeah?"

The door opened slowly, a tall, blonde woman stepped inside of the room. "(Name)?" She asked, stepping in and closing the door behind her.

"Who are you? What are you doing in here?"

"I apologize for not introducing myself. I'm Yelena. Your mother hired me to guard your room. I hope I'm not intruding. If you'd like, I could stand outside."

"No, it's okay." I said, walking over to my bed and taking a seat. Yelena stood in the corner awkwardly. "Why did you take this job?"

"The pay was good," She started. "And I thought working in the castle would look good for myself. Sorry if that came out wrong."

"No, I get it, Yelena. It makes perfect sense." I sighed, laying back. "Did she tell you why you're guarding my room?"

"She did." Yelena starts. "She was afraid you would try to leave."

"Yeah." I laugh. "I was thinking about that."

"Why is that?" Yelena asked, tilting her head slightly.

"She's marrying me off."

"I thought you wanted to marry?"

"No." I mumble, holding a pillow to my stomach. "She's making me to form an alliance. The prince is an awful person."

"I'm sorry to hear that, then." She said, sitting down at the end of the bed. "I wish I could help."

"It's not your issue, Yelena. You don't have to worry about it."

"Right. I apologize if it seems like I'm invading on your problems."

"No," I start. "It actually feels pretty good to have someone to talk to. Could you stay with me longer, Yelena? I wouldn't want to stay in this room all by myself tonight."

"Yeah, whatever you want." I sat up on the bed, leaning against the wall behind me. Yelena sat there awkwardly, refusing to make eye contact.

"You can loosen up a bit. I don't bite." She glanced over to me with a smile.

"Sorry." She scooted back on the bed, keeping a distance between me and her. It's her fist day, I don't blame her for wanting a bit of space.

"I promise I won't be too much for you to take care of, k, Yelena?"

"I'd take care of you, even if you were high maintenance. I have worked for many snobs." I chuckle, patting a couple pillows and inviting her to sit next to me. She did, thankfully. I was worried she was going to sit there like a robot all night long.

"Where do you come from, Yelena?"

"I'm from here. But I was pretty poor growing up. Ive had to work to get where I am now."

"That's very impressive." I nod. She gives me a small smile. "I wish I could change my future like you did."

"What's stopping you from canceling your wedding with the prince?"

"My mom. She won't have it other way. I have no choice but to marry him." I sigh, placing my head in my hands. I can't even listen to myself talking about the marriage without getting a headache.

"Nothing will make her budge?" Yelena asks. All her attention was on me now. No more eyes roaming on everything in the room except me. We were actually having a real conversation now.

"It's the only option she has left if she wants an alliance. I don't know why she can't just befriend the queen and king. I don't know why I have to marry."

"That sucks, then." Yelena says. "I wish there was some way for me to get you out of it."

My stomach suddenly rumbles. I cover my stomach with my arms out of embarrassment as Yelena giggles. "Ill get you some food, k? Be right back." She said, jumping off of the bed and leaving the room.

At least someone is here for me. If not my mom, then at least Yelena. Something about her drew me closer to her. The aura she brought into the room was warm and sweet. It was comfortable with her here, and I was able to speak to her without any punishment for saying what I think. I wish she'd come back already.

There was another light knock on the door. "You still in here, (Name)?" I got up from the bed, opening the door that Yelena was standing behind with a trey of food in her hands. "I got the food for you."

"Thanks, Yelena. You can just put it on the bedside table." She nodded, doing exactly as I instructed her. I shut the door behind myself, climbing back onto the bed where I was before. "Do you have a room here?"

"Yeah, your mother assigned me one." I tucked my lips into a thin line. "If you want me to stay, then I will."

"Please?" She nods, climbing back onto the bed and sitting next to me just like she did before. "You're good to me, Yelena."

"Why shouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, I'm just not used to it so it feels wrong."

"I'm sorry this is happening to you."

"Oh well." I muttered, grabbing a bit of the food and taking small bites. "You hungry, Lena?"

"No, I'm okay." She said, shaking her head. "Your mother insisted that I had something to eat as well before coming back up and giving you your food."

I hum, turning my attention back to my plate. Yelena stayed silent. The whole room was quiet. But I felt safe. She made me feel safe. "Is my mom just hiring you for when I'm here?"

"Yeah. She said that after you get married, I wouldn't the working here anymore. It's just a temporary job." I nod slowly. "I'm sorry that I won't be there when she gives you off."

"Don't be." I said. "Not your fault."

He hand grabs onto mine. I jumped at first, but I liked it. "I'm sorry." She pulled her hand away from mine.

"No, no." I took her hand again, holding it in mine. She went quiet again. "I need to get out of this marriage. Somehow."

"You should leave."

"Right." I snort. "She'll have everyone searching for me."

"If we leave the country, she wouldn't be able to find you."

"No, I don't guess she would." Yelena looked over to me.

"(Name)?" I hum. She pressed her lips into mine. My eyes widen in shock, but I soon compose myself and kiss her back. Something about her just felt so right.

"Yelena-"

"(Name), let's get out of the country."

"Seriously?"

"There's nobody guarding your room. I was hired for that. We can sneak out."

"We can?"

"We'll have to be careful."

"Can we really do this?"

"We'll find a way, I promise you."

Word Count: 1298