𝟏𝟓⥋𝐄𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲

"I really want you to be okay, Lena." I cry, squeezing her hand.

About a year ago, Yelena was diagnosed with cancer. It wasn't good. She's been getting weaker and weaker since that point and now she was sitting here in the hospital.

"I promise you that Ill get better. I always do." She said, lightly squeezing me hand back. Everything about her is weaker. Both her physical strength and her internal strength.

"You can promise me something like that, Lena. Those other times weren't like this. I'm scared that you won't make it this time."

She nodded slowly. She had the exact same fears that I did. Throughout the past year, she's convinced me that she can get better. But in the last couple weeks, I've found that I was starting to believe her less and less as her condition kept decreasing at such a rapid pace.

Ever since she's ended up in the hospital, I've practically been living here. We both know that she's coming close to her end and I don't want to lose her without giving her a good final moment. When we got married, she expressed that she wanted to live her life with me and then die with me beside her. I wanted to be here to fulfill that wish, so I decided to spend every last second with her.

Yelena became worried about my health after three days of staying in the hospital with her. I brushed her worries off and reminded her who I was here for. There were nights that I could hardly sleep because her condition that day was so bad. There were times where I couldn't eat because I became nauseous at the fact that I could lose my wife that day.

But I'm glad that she's still here. I know that she's suffering right now, but I'm so glad that she is still able to live.

"You know, I'm really going to miss you when I'm gone. I wish it wasn't like this." She whispered.

I felt tears pricing in the corners of my eyes. "Please don't talk like that, Lena. Maybe there really is something that can help you."

She smiled slowly. "I hope."

There was a knock at the door as a nurse walked in, typed up on the keyboard, and asked Yelena the same questions that all the nurses asked her eyes day.

Yes, Yelena took her medicine. Yes, Yelena feels okay. Yes, Yelena ate her food. Yes, Yelena is keeping her head high and hoping that she can get through this.

The nurse left the room right after and left the two of us together. "You sure you really feel okay?" I ask. The circles underneath her eyes were a dark purple and her skin was very pale.

"I don't feel great," She starts. "But I have fucking cancer so..." She laughs quietly. I couldn't really laugh right now. It wasn't the right time, but Yelena wanted a lighter mood in the room considering the horrible fact that the both of us understand.

Yelena is sick and we both know that she won't get better. She's lost so much weight after coming in the hospital and she can't sleep anymore. Just looking at her makes my heart drop. I hate that this is happening to her. If there was any way for me to switch out her for me, I'd do it in a heart beat because I know this is not something she deserves.

I held onto her hand for, I don't even know how long. Yelena's hand started squeezing down on mine. I looked up, and it seemed like she was having trouble breathing. Her chest was heaving up and down in unsteady patterns.

"Lena? Hey! No!" I shook her shoulders gently, hoping that maybe I could calm her down. I pressed the red button to call in a nurse. "Yelena? Please no, don't let this happen."

A nurse rushed into the room, placing her hand down on Yelena's chest. "Hey, I need you to calm down for me."

I knew Yelena couldn't hear her. She was probably panicking right now. I stepped back, but Yelena's hand gripped onto mine. The nurse called in help, but they all needed to get her to stay still and to calm her down before they could even do anything.

"If she doesn't stop moving she's going to die." One of the nurses announces, glancing over to me. "Can you please try to calm her down? She's not going to listen to us."

I know I can't do this because I'm panicking too. I take a deep breath, stepping closer to Yelena. My hands cup her face and her eyes stare into mine. "Please, Lena, focus on me for a second, I know this is really hard. I can't imagine what you're going through. But please, just try to calm down for me."

Tears were streaming down her face as her breathing slowed. I think I'm doing something right?

One nurse came from behind me, placing a breathing mask over her face. "We put her under some anesthesia so we can fix what's going on." The nurse said, turning to me. Yelena's eyes were shutting and opening as she was fighting the urge to sleep.

"I'm really sorry you had to see that. If we keep working with Yelena, I really think we might be able to beat the cancer, but we have to look out for things like this. If we got here just ten seconds later, she wouldn't have made it. I'm really glad that you're out here looking after her."

I nod, taking my seat beside Yelena as all the nurses leave the room again. They said that they would come back in just a couple minutes to wheel her out and figure out what was causing her to have trouble breathing.

I sat in silence, holding onto her hand. This fight was going to last an eternity, but I'm going to stay with Yelena through it all.

Word Count : 1008