33. Finale - Part 2

"Conflict continues to rise all around the world as people pose the question: do the Avengers need to be put in check? Do special individuals need to be documented, and do they pose a threat? We'll cover the growing debates after this break." A voice floated down from the television hanging on the sterile white walls. A persistent, very annoying beeping was in beat with my heart, and with every noise from the machine came a spike in my headache.

I groaned, taking a breath as my eyes reluctantly opened and observed my surroundings. I was in a hospital room? I don't remember being hospitalized, so I must have been unconscious. 

The door opened, and Agent Coulson from before walked in. He seemed surprised I was awake. "Miss L/N. You were found unconscious in a warehouse after witnesses reported a bright flash of red. I'm assuming that was you?" He asked, his eyebrows quirked.

"Yeah, it was. I remember the whole passing-out bit." I moved to sit up, but when I put weight on my right shoulder, pain shot through my body. "Ow." I grumbled.

"You've sustained-"

"Extensive injuries, yeah. I know. Being slammed into a wall is not something I would recommend." I laughed humorlessly. 

He chuckled at my joke, and a very awkward silence filled the room. He cleared his throat, adjusting the file in his hands before saying, "they're waiting outside for you."

"Agent Coulson, have you read my file?" I switched topics.

"I have, yes. Your abilities are incredible, and, to my understanding, wildly unexplored."

I smiled slightly. "Yes. But if you've read the file, you know that I knew they're in the hall."

He returned my smile with a grin of his own. "I figured as much. Would you like me to bring them in?"

I looked over at the man with a sheepish and hopeful gaze. "Could you help me sit up first?"

"Of course." He set the file down at the table next to me, gently supporting my weight and readjusting the pillows behind me. "There you go."

"Thank you, Coulson." I smiled at the man. He turned, grabbed the file, and strolled back towards the door. Just before he open it, I stopped him. "Wait."

"Hm?" He hummed, looking back at me.

"I, um, I just . . . it's been a long time since I've see them. I don't know if things will go back to the way they were. I mean, most of them have no idea who I am. Oh, no, Peter's going to kill me when I return his memories." I began to feel overwhelmed by the thoughts streaming into my brain, and panic stirred in my heart.

"Miss L/N. I've spent a lot of my time with people like you."

"Monsters?" I huffed.

He shook his head, a soft smile on his face. "No. People who have shouldered incredible burdens and made so many sacrifices to protect their loved ones. Believe me, they love you more than you can know. You have nothing to worry about."

I cocked my head, thinking over his words with pursed lips. I wasn't so sure, but I was done running away from my problems. I'd learned the hard way it just makes everything worse; all the stress and consequences pile up into a tangle of disaster. Whatever happened, I was going to face it, and deal with it.

Even if I had to do it alone.

I took a deep breath, smoothing out the blanket on top of me. "Okay. I think I'm ready." He nodded, turning and opening the door.

"She's awake." I heard the agent call, and a rush of footsteps before a certain metal-appendage man appeared in the entryway.

"Oh my god, Y/n, you scared the daylights out of me." He smiled, walking in and taking a seat in one of the chairs. "How are you feeling?"