Chapter 1.4

When I came to, I found myself laying down in a wooden carriage all by myself. I sat up and looked around me, the sky was pitch black with the stars and moons bringing light to the dark sky.

Wait, moons?

I did a double-take at the sky and sure enough, there were two moons in the sky.

I looked at the dark surroundings and was able to spot an extinguished campfire near the carriage which had parked in what seemed to be a grassy plain, with no signs of civilization around us.

"You're awake?" A voice questioned me from behind.

I turned around to find the knight in blue armor. He wasn't wearing his blue armor, but without a doubt, it was the same tall muscular man who had almost cut my head clean off. In an instant, I readied my shield which was still in the Scutum shape.

"Is being hostile in your nature? You just woke up."

"Can you blame me? You nearly sliced my head off." I replied in anger.

The knight sighed and sat back down. He brought a finger to his lips and pointed to the floor of the carriage with his other hand. My eyes adjusted to the darkness and I could see that my Summoner and her other Spirits were sleeping peacefully together.

Realizing that there was no reason for the knight to start attacking me, I lowered my shield and sat back down.

"I'd like to apologize for almost cutting your head off, if we are to be friends, please call me Roy." Roy introduced as he offered his hand.

My brain got whiplash from trying to understand how "cutting your head off" and "friends" were used in the same sentence in a casual way, but I decided to not let it get to my head and hesitantly shook Roy's hand.

"My name is Rin, and uhm, thank you for not cutting my head off I guess."

"It was your own power that prevented me from doing so, but with my level now, I'd break past your shield with no problems."

"I'm still having trouble trying to figure out if you're an enemy or not."

Roy started laughing loudly, but he soon remembered that people were sleeping around us and regained his composure.

"Anyway," Roy cleared his throat, "After your shield completely burned down the summoning bar, our Summoner brought us dungeon hunting to gain levels."

It took me a while to realize and take in what Roy had said.

"My shield did what!?" I shouted, causing Roy to frantically shake his hands for me to remember that people were sleeping. I covered my mouth and after a few deep breaths, Roy continued.

"Your shield is the Shield of Two Opposites, right?" Roy asked.

I thought back to when the gods had given me the shield and armor. I nodded my head.

"If my memory serves me right, your shield has control of fire and water." Roy continued, "but I don't know specifically what sort of powers your shield can do, that's for you to find out."

"Does everyone's weapon have elemental powers?" I ask.

"It's not that common, but my sword has some Ice powers," Roy points at the short girl in the purple dress. "Liz's spear, for example, has no elemental power, but because she is a Drakon Spirit, she has immense power."

"A dragon?"

"A Drakon." Roy corrects me, "They're similar beings, but not exactly the same."