Chapter Seven

Ruby stared at Jaune. He was different. He was covered in dirt and had a metal brace around his leg. His hair was caked in dust and his skin crisped from likely days in the sun. "Jaune?" "Yeah?" "Who is she?" Ruby said, pointing to Holly. "That's Holly, she's a waitress I picked up." "Yeah but why?" "I lost my stuff in a card game I wasn't even playing and my boss fired me cause the White Fang attacked the restaurant." Ruby nodded before pointing. "And who are those?" She said, looking at the cuddle huddle in the back seat. "Mako is the little boy, the dog is Peaches, and the bunny is Lil' Velvet." He said as Ruby gushed at the three. Suddenly the car sped up as Jaune narrowed his eyes. "Why are we going so fast? Holly shouted as she gripped the glove box. Ruby slid into the back seat as the car exceeded speeds of 170mph. "We've got company." Jaune whispered as the engine of Zippy sounded off behind them. Ruby looked in the rear view and her sister and teammates now in the hood less vehicle. "Why are they chasing us?" "Ruby, Yang hates me, Weiss hates me, and Blake is just along for the ride. Yang probably thinks I kidnapped you or just wants to kill me for being friends with you." Ruby blushed as Holly sneered. Zwei looked out the rear window and barked.

Yang pressed the gas to the floor as she chased after Vomit Boy. "HOW DARE HE KIDNAP MY BABY SISTER!" She shouted as Blake loaded her weapon. The car swerved as it followed the Interceptor down a fork in the road. "Weiss, call Pyrrha. Tell her we're corralling Jaune in their direction." Weiss nodded as she booted up her scroll. "Pyrrha?" "Yeah Weiss?" "Jaune is heading down *Looks at map* I-82 now. He should be coming your way." "We'll cut him off. Keep us updated." "Okay." Yang attempted to pull up alongside the black car only to realize that the mini Cooper wasn't as fast. Jaune was easily outpacing them but Yang wouldn't let that stop her. "Weiss, pour some dust or something into the gas tank." Weiss looked in her bag and found a bottle of rainbow dust. "Yang, this is highly volatile and randomly assorted. We have no idea what could happen if you put that in the engine." "Blake, take the wheel." Yang said before crawling into the back with Weiss. She held down the pale girl while attempting to grab the dust. "Yang, no. The car might explode." Yang grabbed the bottle before leaning over the side and pouring its contents into the tank. Yang looked confused as nothing happened. "Yang, it doesn't work automaticallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy." The car suddenly sped up and Blake started screaming as the the girls in the back were launched into the seat. Rainbows shot from the rear as they shot past the Interceptor. 

MEANWHILE

"Alright everyone. From my calculations, Jaune should be arriving in the next fifteen minutes." Ren said as Candy nodded at his estimation. "Okay, so Magenta, when Jaune passes, you tell us and your father will pull the trailer out in front so he can't escape. Pyrrha will hold his car in place and if he tries to escape on foot, Nora and Ren are gonna catch him. He apparently has a waitress and a baby with him so if he tries to use them as leverage, we-" "Break his legs!" Nora shouted enthusiastically. "I say we go with Nora's idea." Jade said before getting a face full of sand from Sable. Juniper just stared at her most disappointing daughter and wondered where she went wrong.

Flashback

Juniper stared at her son. Her only son. "Mommy?" Jaune said looking int his mother's eyes. His baby blue eyes looked hopeful as she contemplated her answer. She thought about it. Her only son, the only one to carry the Arc name after she and her husband pass. "Jaune, I'm sorry but it's too dangerous." "But Ivory and Candy are at Beacon, and Saffron and Jade are at Signal." "They have been training their whole lives." "Yeah, but whenever I try you and dad do whatever you can to stop me." "You're too weak Jaune." "Why?" "Because you don't train." "You and dad don't let me train." Jaune yelled, furious at his mother's hypocrisy. "Young man, use your inside voice. You are an Arc and you will act as such." Jaune's face turned red as he burst into tears. "I hate this family. I hate the Arcs. Why can't you just support me?" "Because you're weak. You just weren't born strong enough." "Well what do you know? You're just a baby maker, and a bad one at that." Jaune said. Juniper slapped the boy as hard as she could, sending him spiraling to the floor. Jaune looked up at her with tears before running away. Juniper felt her heart break as she watched her son run away crying. "Jaune, wait please!" She yelled as she chase after the boy. She made it to his room and tries to get in only to realize he blocked the door. "Baby, please." She pleaded, hoping he would let her in. "Go away, I hate you!" He shouted from the other side.

Jade walked up to her mother. "Mom, what's wrong?" She asked as Juniper teared up. "Jade, promise me something." "What?" She took her daughter's hands before looking into her eyes. "Promise me you'll do whatever you can to keep your brother safe. Even if you have to hurt him." Jade looked her in the eye and smiled. "I promise."

Flashback Over

Juniper sighed as she realized all of this stemmed from her promise with Jade. "All my fault." She cried to herself as she sat at the table. Pyrrha quickly sat down across from her, attempting to console the woman. "It's okay Mrs Arc." Juniper looked at the girl in front of her. "Oh Pyrrha. Please, call me Juniper." 'We're already on a first name basis. I wonder how she'll react when I have her grandbabies."