Chapter Thirteen

Dream lifted his chin. It was his turn to seek, since he was caught sneaking from one place to another. It was dark, only the light of the moon and the dim lights of the house helped everyone see, except for him, of course, being a werewolf.

Scents filled his nose, way too many to count, all of his friends' scents came to him, but he wanted to single out one.

Quackity's was the strongest, so he'd go for him first.

Dream circled around the house and hopped over the fence and into the front yard. It grew closer, though, it was muddled with other strong scents.

As he stood on the driveway, he could smell something—someone—else. A werewolf. He couldn't tell who. They were masked with mud and dirt.

Dream growled lowly. The forest was practically right behind Karl's house. Who was here?

He darted into the trees, very well aware that Quackity was almost right here, and that if he turned around, he could probably see or hear him.

With the hidden covers of the forest, Dream shifted.

He stretches to full height, arms pressed against the trees.

Walking on hind legs wasn't the quickest, but he could see over most of the branches.

When the scent of the werewolf hit him again, Dream landed back on four legs and hurried through the bushes, not wanting to take long.

He could finally hear the werewolf. Dream changed directions and slammed into something, a pale gray wolf.

Dream snarled, clawed hands gripped around a thick neck. The werewolf beneath him snarled back and his features changed, he began shifting back.

Dream did too.

Once they were both almost human—still having pointed ears, very long teeth, and wild, canine-like eyes—Dream stepped off of who the werewolf was.

Malachi.

Dream bared his teeth. "It's obvious you're watching. What the hell do you want?"

Malachi shrugged nonchalantly. "Nothing. I just still find it strange that you're best friends with humans."

"Okay, listen, 'cause I don't have long," Dream said. "In case you haven't realized, the entire pack has human friends, so don't just target mine. And let me remind you, you all promised you wouldn't hurt them. Also, considering the ranks of our pack, I'm higher up. So, I suggest leaving."

His voice was a growl at the end.

Malachi raised his hands in surrender. "Fine, but seriously, it's going to be a lot harder if you don't let go of them if something happens to them."

Another snarl. "Fuck off, Malachi."

Malachi shifted again. Dream watched as he grew a good amount of feet and lifted a clawed hand to his forehead, giving the blond a stupid-looking salute.

———

"Well, hello, Karl." Dream grinned as he placed a hand on Karl's shoulder, hidden beneath the shadows.

Karl jumped and spun around. "Holy shit!"

Dream laughed. "You're last, lucky you."

Karl smiled. "Good. Did you find everyone?"

Dream bounced away, hair flopping up and down as he led Karl to the rest of them. "Yep! You all were pretty easy."

"Definitely a record," Sapnap grumbled.

Dream ruffled his hair. "You're just a salty little bitch."

Laughing, the group headed inside and down to the basement, where they would be sleeping. When Dream glanced at the clock, it was around twelve-thirty.

He flopped onto one of the mattresses. "Alrighty, who's sleeping with who?"

Two mattresses, one bed.

"I get the bed!" Karl exclaimed. "It's my house!"

"Shouldn't you be generous and give someone else the bed?" George said, tilting his head.

"Nope!" Karl hopped onto the bed. "Mine."

"Ugh, whatever," Sapnap said. "It can be Quackity and me on one, and Dreamy and Gogy on the other."

George rolled his eyes on the nickname, Dream bared his teeth for a second.

"Fine," Quackity said.

So, that didn't give any of them a choice. Unless they wanted to sleep on the floor, which Dream didn't want to, even if it might've been more comfortable than the forest floor.

They talked for a couple of hours, and played games including Spin the Bottle or Truth or Dare.

Finally, it was around three am when they began to settle. Karl was asleep beneath the covers of the bed. Sapnap too, quiet beside Quackity. Said ravenette was on his phone, but his eyes were shutting and reopening repetitively.

George had also fallen asleep beside Dream, his head on the blond's arm. It caused his heart to beat sporadically in his chest.

He's never told anyone about his sexuality. About being bi. He knew his friends would support, since the entire table group knew about George. Yet, he was still hesitant.

And, his growing crush on George.

He ignored that thought as he continued to scroll through his phone, waiting for Quackity to fall asleep.

Because there was a room that was off limits. It was strange, because a few months ago, it wasn't. The room was simply an office.

Ever since the murders began happening, the office had turned off limits. And much to Dream's curiosity, he had to see what was in it.

He turned his head to look at Quackity. The small boy had fallen asleep finally, phone resting on his chest as his mind drifted into a nonexistent universe of his dreams.

Slowly, Dream slid his arm out from under George's head. Once he was out, he crept onto his feet and stalked towards the door.

Whenever Karl shifted, Dream froze, not even letting himself breathe.

Eventually, he made it to the door. It wasn't locked, so Dream opened it, flinching when it creaked.

He only opened it enough that his body could fit through it. He squeezed through and closed the door slightly behind him.

When he turned back around, his eyes widened in shock and he let out an audibly loud gasp.