Chapter Twenty - Three

Dream flopped onto the ground, lying on his back and staring up into the branches. "I found this river a while ago, but I'm the one who put the lamps here."

"It's pretty," George said, sitting down a couple of feet away from him.

Dream's face visibly dropped. "You're still scared of me."

George frowned, but he didn't answer.

"Just tell me what's so scary about me," Dream said. "Like, specify what part of me being a werewolf scares you so much."

George shrugged. "That you're a... monster. Werewolves are monsters of mythology. You guys hunt and kill people. You guys are the reason these murders are happening around the school. When you transformed at the festival, you were so... you weren't you. And I understand why, but... it was scary."

Dream sighed. "I swear that I only act like that once a month. I can recognize you, I promise."

George raised a brow. "But that's not going to fix everything, Dream."

Dream said, "Let me transform, just sit with me for a bit."

George opened his mouth to speak, but Dream was already transforming, gaining feet in height as arms and legs gained muscle. His mouth opened in a silent roar, teeth shooting out of his gums.

George fought the urge to scramble backwards, and instead got to his feet shakily, but he looked up at Dream's face.

The werewolf licked his nose as he squatted down with his tail wagging behind him. He tilted his head and let out a drawn-out sound.

"And you... still recognize me?" George asked.

Dream nodded.

George huffed a short laugh. "Okay, that looks funny. But you're still a werewolf, and you're still murdering people."

The werewolf sighed as he began shrinking back to his normal size, losing all his werewolf attributes, and appearing like his normal self.

"You're safe," Dream said. "Just saying."

"Okay, but what about the people you've killed?"

"We have to eat."

"What about animals?"

"They don't fill us as well, and not as healthy apparently... According to sites I've seen."

George sighed, "Okay, just... I don't think you wanted to come out here to explain all of this, so we'll just drop it, okay?"

Dream said, "Yeah, you're right--" he sat down, leaning back comfortably against a tree and opening an arm-- "come sit, just enjoy this with me, please."

Hesitantly, George walked over to the blond, sitting down slowly and leaning back against the tree with Dream's arm around his shoulder.

His heart instantly sped up, and that was the moment when he knew he was fucked.

Dream could smell his scent.

And hear his heartbeat.

But, Dream didn't say anything. Instead, he pointed out every little thing in the forest or above, such as the stars, creating patterns that the boy continued to chatter about endlessly, getting more and more excited with each story.

When he couldn't think of any more constellations to talk about, he spoke about the moon, he spoke about her beauty and theories that mankind could never come up with. He told George about the beauty in the moon whenever they all sung to her, a melodic howl every full moon.

When Dream quietened, he tilted his head to see George leaning his own head on Dream's shoulder, eyes fluttering as he tried to stay awake.

Dream smiled softly. "You're tired, huh? I'm sorry if I brought you out here if you were trying to sleep."

George opened one eye. "Well, I know you saw me through the window, watching all you werewolves."

Dream hummed. "Yeah, true."

"Are you okay?" he then asked.

"Yeah," George said. "Why?"

"Your heart's beating really fast," Dream said.

George immediately shifted away from Dream, lifting his head up. "Yeah, I'm, uh, fine."

Dream raised a brow. "That reaction tells me something different."

George opened his mouth to speak, but he didn't know what to say.

Dream's mouth stretched into a smirk. "It definitely has something to do with me."

George scowled. "You're a cocky bitch. How are you sure?"

"I have my ways," he said.

"Yeah, I'm going to need proof," George said.

Dream's smirk widened. "So, if I do this..."

His fingers threaded through George's hair and pulled back sharply, forcing the brunet to tilt his head back to meet Dream's eyes.

George swallowed, his Adam's apple bobbing heavily. "Fuck off, Dream."

Dream laughed, "Oh, it's definitely me. Your heart race is so damn high, I'll be able to hear it from miles away. Your scent is crazy too, and you're breathing heavily."

"Fuck you."

Another laugh with a stupid grin to go along with it. "Aww, is little Georgie embarrassed, afraid to admit that I'm right? It does have to do with me."

George grit his teeth, breathing heavily through his mouth. "Fuck. Off. You're such a cocky little--"

The rest of his sentence was cut off by Dream's lips slamming into his with enough force to cause him to freeze, but only for a split second.

When Dream finally pulled back, George was gasping for breath, his sticking out in all angles because of where Dream's fingers once were.

George leaned forward, letting his forehead rest on Dream's shoulder. "So, this also means that you were aware of when my heart was beating so fast around you?"

He felt the blond laugh. "Yeah, I did. I didn't think anything about it at first. But I then figured it out a little after I began falling for you."

"Falling for... wait, you've liked me?!"

Dream rolled his eyes. "I literally kissed you just now."

George laughed and said, "True."

"So, I'm gonna get it over with; do you want to be my boyfriend?"

George smiled at Dream's stupid expression. "I think you know the answer."