4

Y/n POV

I could feel my mother's eyes on me as I closed the door behind Aone.

Oh no, here we go!

"You didn't tell me the classmate was a boy! And a cute one at that! Were you just going to hide the fact that you got a boyfriend on your first day from your own mother?"

"He's not my boyfriend."

I knew if this kept up the whole family would tease me for the remainder of my time at this school!  Maybe if I change the subject-

"He was here kind of late. Have you been working this whole time?"

"No, he only came over after he finished practice."

"Oh! Is he on a sports team! He does have a nice build! Which team?"

"MOM! And I don't know...I didn't even ask! Ugh!"

How could I not even ask! Didn't I want to be his friend. Why am I so bad at this. Because I really don't have any experience. The only reason I had friends at my old school is because my neighbor forced me to be the second manager for his team.

Flahback:

"Come on, (y/n)! I can't be your only friend forever. Look you can be the second manager of our team with Kiyoko and you'll make all kinds of friends!"

"But Asahi! You know how weird I get around people!"

"Yeah! But I also know that those same people love you if you just give them a chance to warm up to you! I'm putting my foot down. If you don't try for one week then I am not going to walk you to school for one month."

"Ok."

"(Y/n)!!!"

I laughed as Asahi's previously confident face turned into a pout! He knew I would rather walk to school with him since it was still the first week of my first year and he was literally my only friend, but that didn't mean I had to walk with him. I'm a strong independent woman....well, I'm an independent...well I'm a woman!

"Fine, one week! But if it doesn't work out you owe me meat buns for two months!"

"Deal! But you know you'll end up waiting for me to finish practice to walk home anyway so there's really no point in limiting it to a week.

End of flashback.

He had been right of course. Kiyoko practically adopted me and the other first years somehow kidnapped me during breaks and lunch until I couldn't imagine life without the boy's volleyball team. And then we became second years and the new first years were hilarious!  Of course, a few things had changed. Asahi didnt walk me home for a while and I didn't see Noya at practice. But when the younger Coach Ukai took over things began looking up again! I never thought I'd leave them! And so close to the Inter-high tournaments too! And to Date Tech! The school that defeated so bad last year! I hadn't been able to go to the game that day, but Suga-senpai had told me what happened. The boy's were heartbroken when I told them I was leaving. Of course, I was too. That's why I haven't been able to unpack my room.

"I still want to go back."

"I know, love. But it just wouldn't work out."

I hadn't actually meant to say that outloud. But my parents knew how I felt already. I think that's one reason they didn't fight me on having someone over even though our house was literally just piles of boxes at the moment.

After dinner, I went back to my room and stared at my backpack for what seemed like forever. Accepting the fact that I wouldn't get any work done tonight I showered and got ready for bed.

I'll just go early again tomorrow and do it before class.

Aone's POV

Tuesday morning rolled around too soon. I got up grabbed my things and headed for the train station. It's a little disappointing that I won't see (y/n) until  class starts.

Wow! I've really got it bad already! I've only known her for one day!! Man up, Aone!

Lucky for me there were a couple of open seats on the train this morning. I decided I might as well doze for a couple of minutes since it was going to be a long week anyway. I felt the train slow at the next stop and was surprised when I felt someone sit next to me. No one ever does! It's probably because my eyes are closed, so I'll just leave them closed so they don't get scared.

After a few more stops I know I'm going to have to get off soon when I hear a soft voice beside me.

"Aone, you need to wake up. Our stop is next."

I open my eyes to see (y/n) looking at me with a soft smile. She had her glasses in her hand cleaning the frame and I got an unobstructed view of her deep brown eyes. I must have been staring a little too long because the next thing I heard was,

"Is there something on my face."

I shook my head.

"No, sorry. I just didn't expect to see you so early this morning."

"Oh, well, after you left I didn't get any work done so I figured I would come early again today and do it before class."

"Oh."

I didn't really know what else to say. I couldn't invite her to watch practice now since she had plans for her morning. And for some reason that made me a little sad. But she probably wasn't interested in volleyball. So I just walked quietly beside her until we got to the school gates.

"See you later, Aone."

I waved as I made my way to the gym. Turning to reach for the door I see all of my upperclassmen and Futakuchi standing there staring at me.

"Did Aone just walk to school with a girl?!"