Chapter 50

Elizabeth's POV

I glanced over at Abel who sat on the couch furthest in the living room, her arms folded and her face expressionless as she stared at Michael who was busy playing with Valerie on the floor. She had been ignoring, well I wouldn't say ignoring, but there has been very minimal conversation between us ever since I told Michael that he could spend some time here, and it's been a week since then.

I understood that she didn't favor him much, but he was homeless for the time being, and he has helped me so much throughout these five years. This was the least I could do.

I broke out of my thoughts when I heard Valerie yelling goodbye. When I glanced back at Abel I saw that she was now standing, and slipping into her jacket.

I stood abruptly from the dining table, the legs of the chair scraping loudly against the wooden floor beneath me. A few of my embroidery items fell to the ground but I paid it no mind. "Where are you going?" I asked frantically.

Abel glanced over her shoulder at me briefly, her expression stoic as she reached for the door handle.

"Out." She said flatly and opened the door. I stepped forward to protest but she already made her way out the door before I could get to say anything else. The door slammed loudly behind her.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. I should probably go after her but maybe she needed some space.

"What's her problem?" Michael asked with a chuckle.

I walked over to him and Valerie and plopped onto the couch where Abel had been sitting less than a minute ago. I pinched the bridge of my nose when I felt a slight ache in the side of my head. Great, now I have a headache.

"Mummy will papa Abel come back?" Valarie asked and skipped over to me. I forced a smile and nodded.

"Of course honey." I said as I smoothed her hair. "She-"

"Papa Abel? Why is Valerie calling her that?" Michael asked, his voice rising an octave. I glanced over at him and raised a brow as I watched him stand. His face scrunched and his hands balled into fists at his sides.

"What's wrong with that Michael?" I stood and crossed my arms as I stared at him. He scoffed and looked away from me then he shrugged and plopped back onto the couch.

"Nothing I suppose. It's just weird since she isn't a man. And I mean, Valerie has never called me tha-"

"Why would she? You're not her father." I cut him off. He stared back at me with a look of confusion.

"She isn't either! And I've been here for Val far longer than she has!" He said, raising his voice once again and using his hands to articulate his frustration.

Why was he getting so riled up? Valerie isn't his child and yes he has been helping us for a while but that doesn't automatically give him parental rights.

When I glanced back at him I frowned as I watched him mumble to himself.

"Uncle Michael Uncle Michael-"

"What!" Michael yelled loudly, his nose flared and his eyes glaring daggers at Valerie. Valerie jumped and backed away from him. I gasped and quickly dragged her away from him.

"Don't yell at her!" I glared over at him. Valarie wrapped her arms around my hips and buried her face. "What the hell is wrong with you!" I gritted out, trying not to raise my voice. I didn't want to have an argument in front of Valerie.

Michael's face fell and his expression was quickly replaced with one of guilt.

"Luce, I- Valerie I'm so sorry-"