Chapter 49

Abel's POV 

"Good afternoon Sir Abel. It's so good to see you again." Emperor Rodomir greeted me with a smile. I reciprocated it and nodded to him as I stepped into the foyer.

I was surprised that he was the one  waiting for me at the front door. From my last visit it just seemed like he was the type of person who didn't have time to wait around for anyone.

"Likewise sir. I must express my gratitude once again for even putting this together." I smiled over at the older man.

Sir Rodomir chuckled deeply and shook his head. 

"That is quite alright my boy. Your fiance isn't accompanying you this afternoon?" He asked.

"Oh, no. I didn't want to pull her from her job again." I said, glancing around the spacious hallway. This was my second time here but the interior never ceased to amaze me.

"Job? She's working?" He asked, sounding somewhat perplexed. I nodded.

"Yes, she works at a library in the city." I answered.

He hummed and looked forward. "That's quite interesting, I suppose women nowadays enjoy that type of thing. You also have a job don't you, Sir Abel?" He asked, giving me a quizzical look.

I chuckled and nodded. "I do. I actually own a small printry just on the outskirts of Bridginton." I replied. Sir Rodomir hummed once again and we continued our walk in silence.

Then he spoke again. "Professional matters aside, I must admit, I am very intrigued in knowing if we are actually related." He admitted. My eyes widened only a fraction, to show my utter surprise.

"That's a bit of a surprise. I never thought of you being interested in that aspect of it, or children for that matter." I chuckled and rubbed the back of my neck. Sir Rodomir hummed and caressed his beard as he stared at me.

"I can understand why you would think that, however, I already have a daughter, Sir Abel." He chuckled. "A little rascal I'd call her. Of course I love my daughter dearly, but my mind has been occupied with the wellbeing of this country. I could die any day now. I'm worried that a councilman will have to take my place if that were to happen.  My daughter is only ten, she cannot take over the throne. I trust my  councilmen, but greed changes people...power, changes people. It is best to have blood rule in order to preserve our family's legacy." He explained.

"I understand sir." I replied, and in a way I did get what he was saying. A royal title is normally one that is upheld by the generations of a family's bloodline. It would be almost denigrating  to not have a proper candidate to take over, in this case, an heir.

"Do you have children by any chance Sir Abel?" I blinked out of my thoughts and glanced over at him. 

Shit.

What was I supposed to say? That I didn't have any children? At my age it was even frowned upon by some to not have at least one child, and I wasn't sure if he was the type to berate someone because of that.

What about Valerie?

I glanced down at the brightly polished floor as I thought about whether or not I should lie. Of course I saw Valerie as my own child but, technically, she wasn't.

"Sir Abel?" 

I jerked slightly when I felt him touch my shoulder. 

"Right uh. Yes I do actually. I have a daughter, she's five years old." I smiled over at him.

"Ahh, I see. So if by some chance we do end up being related I would be a grandfather." He chuckled to himself. 

I joined in and chuckled nervously. I didn't want to lie to the man but I had to make a good impression of myself. If things did go as I hoped, I'd dish out the truth further down the line.