Chapter 11

I walk with Blake into the mess hall. There are not as many students here this morning. The hype of being on a school camp has died down, and most students just skip breakfast.

I spot Piper standing in line for the food, waving at me. I look around to ensure she is waving at me, not someone else.

"I'll see you later," Blake says, kissing my cheek. I looked around again to ensure no one had arrived in a short amount of time, yet it was quiet. I roll my eyes and sigh, realizing she is calling for me. I do not want to go and talk to her, but I decide to go just to avoid being rude.

"I see you have a new boyfriend." She states when I get close, pointing in Blake's direction, who went to sit with his friends.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused.

"You have a new boyfriend," she says again as if it is obvious.

"And what if he is? Do you have a problem with it?" I ask. "You can't complain. You are the one who took Kyle away from me." I state. Piper looks at me.

"I did not take Kyle away from you. I just wanted to give him a chance." She says, looking at me.

"Oh, so what? Now you want to be friends?" I ask sarcastically. "You have been nothing but rude and mean to me since the day we met." Piper looks down and sighs before she speaks again.

"Maybe we can go on a double date together so that Kyle and I can meet this new boyfriend of yours." She says with an attitude.

"What?" I ask, confused. "You want to go on a double date with my boyfriend and me? Are you serious?" Piper looks at me as if she is waiting for an answer.

"Yes," She says in a matter-of-fact tone. "I am."

"And why would we do that?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. Piper shrugs her shoulders and sighs before speaking again. "Because Kyle is mine now, he should be able to meet his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend." She states, looking down at the floor.

"Fine," I say with a sigh, giving in. What is the worst that could happen? "I will go on a double date with you." We walk over to Kyle, sitting at the table with his friends. He looks up when he sees us coming toward him. His eyes are big as saucers, but he does not look scared or surprised. It's more of a mixture of both. Piper sits down next to Kyle and smiles at him.

"We are going on a double date with Melissa and her new boyfriend," Piper announces. Kyle looks at me and then back to Piper.

"I am not sure if I want to go on a double date with you," Kyle says. "But, it is your choice." He turns his head away from us and continues talking to his friends. I feel like he does not want to be around me anymore.

"I guess we are going on this date then," I say to Piper.

"Okay. We have a deal." She says

"It is settled then." We walk in separate directions.

***

"Hey! Melissa!" I hear my name being called. I look up to see Piper jogging in my direction. I am in the middle of the football field, passing the ball to Abby. I am unsure why, but my feet are not moving, so I wait to hear what she says. I breathe heavily, placing my hands on my hips.

"I must cancel our little double date." She explains to me when she finally reaches me. I furrow my brows in confusion with her statement.

"Who or what made you change that plan," I ask.

"Nothing in particular. It's just, I forget that I already have other plans."

"Did Kyle put you up to this?" I ask, somehow knowing it has something to do with him. Abby kicks the ball back at me, and I stop it with my foot.

"No. This has nothing to do with Kyle." I lift one eyebrow in amusement. Piper looks around.

"Okay, yes, it has. I don't know what his problem is. When I told him about our double date, he freaked out." Piper explained. "I am sorry about the cancellation."

"No, it's okay," I say, kicking the ball back to Abby.

"Hey, I didn't mean to make you mad." She says. "I am sorry about the cancellation."

"It's okay," I say, jogging back in Abby's direction.

"What was that all about?" Abby asked as soon as I reached her. I look back in the direction Piper left, seeing her figure disappearing.

"She just canceled our double date," I say.

"Oh," Abby says, "Well, I am sorry about that."

"Don't be. I did not want to go on this date anyway." I say. We walk back to the bleachers and sit down, grabbing a drink and swallowing the liquid.

I see a familiar figure on the other side of the field. I smile, catching his eye. He looks up and smiles back.

"I'll be back," I tell Abby. She nods her head, and I make my way across the field. I walk over to him and sit down next to him.

"Hey," I say, jogging over to him. Blake smiles.

"I didn't know you were here." He says, taking a ball from my hand.

"I just came to watch the game," I say. "How are you?"

"I'm good," he says. "You?"

"Good," I say, taking a drink of my water. We sit in silence for a few minutes before Blake speaks again.

"So, what are you doing here?" He asks me. I look at him and smile slightly.

"Abby and I came to kick some balls. And Piper, believe it or not, asked if we wanted to go on a double date, and then she just canceled it."

"The same Piper who stole your ex-boyfriend?" he asks, furrowing his face in confusion.

"Yeah," I say. "I don't know what's going on with her."

"She seems like a nice girl," he says, looking at me. "But she does seem kind of crazy sometimes."

"Yeah, that's one way to put it," I say, laughing slightly.