Chapter 22

When I climb out of the rental car, I look around the street and see that most homes look like each other. My mom decided to do a property search while I was in a coma online and found this cute two-story pucca house in a neighborhood not far from the hospital.

"Seriously! This is just great." I say to myself, looking across the street and spotting a familiar figure at the house that is an exact replica of ours, just flipped around.

My surgery went well. So, after 3 weeks, I was given the go-ahead to go home.

Although I still use one crutch to walk on my good side, I am wobbling like a penguin in the driveway.

"What's so great?" my mom wants to know.

"The guy who works at the hospital, transporting patients live across the street," I say.

"Oh," my mom nods in agreement. "So? What's the problem?" my mother asks.

"Nothing. I just didn't expect to see him here," I say.

"Well, he's probably just visiting his family," my mom says, walking to the front door through an archway as a porch. I look at him and walk further up the driveway, following my mom.

Outside our house, just above the front entryway, is all brick. The rest is a plastered side. The front door clicks open, and my mom opens the door to reveal our new home. I cautiously step up the porch and through the door showing the house inside.

My mom has decorated our new place with very modern finishings. The formal living room has our grey couch pushed against a darker grey wall and exposed brick on the feature wall. It feels a tad more modern than our house back in Clovewood. I glance at the room, taking it all in.

"Your room is upstairs. I can help you if you want, but the therapist said it would be good to use your muscles and practice if possible." my mom says. I appreciate her. Even though sometimes she can work on my nerves.

I nod and follow her up the stairs. She opens the door to reveal my new bedroom. It's a small space with a large window that overlooks our backyard. I smile at the view and push the window open.

"It's so nice here," I say, looking around my new room.

"I tried to find a house that felt like home so that when you were discharged, you'll feel at home." my mom says, coming over to hug me. I nod and squeeze her softly back as some of my muscles still hurt when people give me hugs. I know she means well, but it already feels like my old life is slipping away from me. Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe being in this accident will let me start a new chapter after everything that happened at camp with Kyle and my dad.

"Dinner will be ready soon. Is there anything specific you want to eat?" she asks.

I shake my head and smile. "No, I'm good with anything." And with that, she leaves my room.

***

I spent the next few days unpacking my things and getting used to my new home. It's a little smaller than the one back at the old house, but I like the view from my window.

"Hey, you want to go for a walk?" My mom asks as she enters the room with a plate of food in her hand. I nod and smile at her.

"Sure." We head out onto our backyard and take in the sights and sounds of nature. It feels good to be away from all the noise of city life. I have learned how to navigate the stairs by now. As I walk into the kitchen, mom smiles at me. She sets the plate on the counter and leads me out the back door.

"So, how are you feeling?" My mom asks as we sit down on a cement bench at the end of the garden. I shrug.

"It's all new and strange, but I'm getting used to it."

"That's good," she says. "We just want you to feel comfortable here, okay?" I nod in agreement. I am comfortable here. Much to my surprise, I am starting to like it here. Even though I have not gotten out of the house much and explored the new town, I feel at peace here.

"We have another doctor's appointment later today. Are you ready to hear some more results?" she asks.

"Yes, I'm ready," I say, sighing. I look up at her, and for the first time, I see the tiredness in her eyes. Just as I was about to ask my mom if she was okay, she stood up and made her way back to the house. I sighed again for the second time and stood up from the bench and decided that I should head inside.

As soon as I stepped in, the doorbell rang. I furrow my brows and look around the living room to see if I can spot my mother. She has disappeared somewhere else in the house and is nowhere to be seen. The doorbell rang again, and I made my way to the door, slower than I would typically without any of my injuries.

I stalked over to the door and peeked through the peephole. My eyes widen as I looked through the fisheye lens, distorting the person on the other side, but I could clearly tell who it was.

I ripped away my face from the door and grabbed the handle to open it.

"Hey, Mel," the all too familiar voice said standing on the other side.