15 Holidate

"Just when you think you've hit rock bottom, you realize you're standing on another trapdoor." 

- Marisha Pessl (Night Film)

"Mashed potatoes are over the counter, Kook," you nodded in the kitchen's direction. Setting up the table without your mother was more difficult than you had anticipated, however, Jungkook came early for your rescue and baked the most delicious looking stuffed chicken you had ever seen. And gaping at his muscles flexing while he worked was just cherry on top.

"Here, looks delicious." He starts arranging the crockery when you hear the doorbell ring, making your heart beat fast. It's a reaction your body has been giving from the trauma caused by your stalker, which you hide well from Jungkook, not wanting to worry him.

"It's just mashed potatoes, how delicious can it get?" you scurry to get the door. But he stops you midway, somehow sensing your anxiety. "I'll get it, you just relax here. You've done enough work for today."

How and when did you get so lucky?

You watch him open the door, seeing his expression shift to that of confusion. Worriedly, you ask, "Who is it?"

"Who is it?" a woman steps inside, carrying two giant bags in either of her hands, followed by a man. "It's your mother, who you, just so you know, forgot to invite to your..." she points at the small and rounded dinner table, "little Christmas gathering."

"Mum, papa, what- what are you doing here?" you gasp.

Your father takes off his shoes and flaps his arms in the air, "surprise! We got food for you."

You look at an awkward Jungkook standing by the door and then at your parents back and forth. This isn't what you expected when you heard the doorbell ring, and you are not sure whether this outcome is better or the one you expected is.

"Stop standing there like a deer in headlights, I'm starving!" your mother walks hurriedly and starts setting the table with the food she had brought. "You dining table is so small, how can we ever fit all the food and eat here, ____?" She asks and her eyes land on Jungkook, making them widen. "And who is this young man? Is he your boyfriend?"

You scratch your ear out of nervousness and nod, "Yes, this is Jungkook... My boyfriend." You try looking anywhere but at your parents. "Jungkook, this is my mum, and this is my dad." Jungkook quickly bows his head and greets them, making a satisfied grin appear on her face, but it seems she wants to tease you more.

"And you didn't care to tell us the reason for cancelling our family dinner, why?" she playfully glares at you, you not realising that she's not serious. "You know, we would've been completely fine if you brought him too. How can you be like this?"

"l-" You are unable to form words when your father comes for your rescue. "Hush, now. You don't have to pull her leg. ____, it smells pretty good here let's not wait, the food might get cold. So, Jungkook is it? Let's get to know each other son."

After all, you ended up settling in the living room because the centre table you had was comparatively big enough to fit all the food. Sitting on the carpeted floor, you passed everybody apple pie for dessert – Jungkook sitting beside you, and your parents at the sofa, while they got to know each other better. Lucky for you, your parents seem to like him, you're not sure but he did make them laugh multiple times.

"You know, I feel like I have seen you before..." your father suggests. Before he can continue, you interrupt. "Oh, yeah, he used to be a part-time model."

Your father gapes at you, perplexed. "That's not what I meant. I've seen you in town, I couldn't figure it out before but now I feel like I remember. You are Mrs Jeon's son, right? Your family used to live by the river, I suppose."

"Ah, yes," Jungkook gulps. "I-I am her son."

"See, ____ I was right." Your father looks proud of his memory. You, on the other hand, are completely blown away by this revelation. Just thinking about growing up in the same town as Jungkook gives you chills. How did you two live so close yet meet so late? "How is your mother doing now? Last I heard about her she was in a coma," interrupts your oh-so insensitive mother while you watch them exchange new information with a dazed face.

"Umm," he licks his lips uncomfortably, "she is still in a coma, the doctors say that there might not be any going back." Your heart sinks and you clutch his hand in yours. To think the same Jungkook who makes you feel all the happiness in the world; the one that rescues you all the time have struggled so painfully in his life. You feel like hugging him so tight till your hug removes all agony from him. You look at his aching expression making him look back at you nervously.

You really do want to take away Jungkook's aching but there's one thing bugging you that you cannot get off your chest. It would have been more intimate if he opened up like this when only the two of you were present and not in the company of your parents. Now that you think of it, he has never been this open about his personal life before and you didn't want to pressurise him either. You don't know whether you should thank your parents or reprimand them for being nosy.

-----------

A/N : Wow, I can't believe Obsession is close to hitting 1K reads. I just want to thank all of you for reading it. I love your adorable comments, it brightens up my day. And without spoiling the plot, let me tell you that shit is about to get down from this chapter onwards.