Chapter 2: Encounters of the Strange Kind

At the Mystic Grill... 

Caroline Forbes and Bonnie Bennett entered the Grill, talking about the two newcomers that had arrived on the first day of school after summer break. 

'His name is Stefan Salvatore,' Caroline was saying as they walked in. 'He lives with his uncle up at the old Salvatore boarding house. He hasn't lived here since he was a kid. Military family, so they moved around a lot. He's a Gemini, and his favorite colour is blue.' 

'You got all of that in one day?' Bonnie asked her. 

'Oh, please, I got all that between third and fourth period. We're planning a June wedding.' 

'And what about the girl?' 

'Her name's Lilliana Moore. She's the same age as Stefan. Not from here, though. She's from Alabama originally. She's a Pisces. Favorite colour is red. I got that from Stefan.' She sighed in girlish happiness and walked away, waving at someone and skipping over to meet them. 

At Elena Gilbert's house... 

Elena walked through the halls to the main kitchen, where her aunt, Jenna, was. 

'I'm meeting Bonnie at the Grill,' she said to her aunt, slinging on a jacket. 

'Ok, have fun.' Jenna stopped and put her hands on her hips. 'Wait, I got this. Don't stay out late. It's a school night.' Elena gave her aunt a warm smile in return. 

'Well done, Aunt Jenna.' She turned to the door and opened it, just about to leave, when she caught sight of the man she'd seen earlier in the day. Stefan Salvatore stood there, wearing a neutral expression on his face. She gasped. 'Oh.' 

'Sorry, I was about to knock. I wanted to apologise for my disappearing act earlier. I know it was... strange.' 

'No worries, I get it. Blood makes you squeamish.' 

'Um, something like that,' he replied awkwardly. 'How's your leg?' 

'Oh, it's fine. Just a scratch, barely. How did you know where I lived?' 

'It's a small town. I asked the first person I saw. Um, I thought you might want this back.' He passed her the journal. 

'Oh,' she gasped in wonderment, taking it slowly, 'I must have dropped it. Thank you.' 

'Don't worry. I didn't read it.' 

'Why not? Most people would have.' 

'Well, I wouldn't want anyone to read mine.' She stared at him. 

'You keep a journal?' He nodded. 

'Yeah, if I don't write it down, I forget it. Memories are too important.' 

'Yeah,' she said slowly, still in awe of the stranger. 'I'm just gonna - uh, you don't have to stay out there.' She ducked behind the door and walked away to put the journal away somewhere. Stefan stepped forward, and contemplated for a moment about stepping inside, but was worried Elena would see that he couldn't come in - and ask questions. No one could know he was a vampire. No one except Lilliana knew he was a vampire... and that was only because she was a vampire herself. 

'I'm fine,' he called out. She reappeared a moment later. 'Sorry, were you going somewhere?' 

'Yeah, I'm meeting a friend. Do you want to come?' He smiled slightly and nodded.