Chapter 7: Negotiations with Vampires

'Forgive the intrusion,' Elijah said, walking over to the window. 'I mean your family no harm. Neither does Lilliana.' The human doppelganger looked over at me, to which I nodded my assent to the statement. 

'Why did you and your - girlfriend, kill those vampires when they tried to take me?' 

'Because I didn't want you to be taken,' Elijah said, sitting on the sill, looking at her keenly, while I stood at the door. 'Klaus is the most hated and feared of the Originals, but those who fear him are desperate for his approval. If the word gets out that the doppelganger exists, there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him and I can't have that.' 

'Isn't that exactly what you're trying to do?' 

'You know, Elena, your lack of faith in my boyfriend is glaringly apparent,' Lilliana snapped, making Elena turn to look at her. 'Just trust him. He knows what he's doing.' 

'Let's just say that my goal is to not break the curse,' Elijah said to the human. 

'So what is your goal?' 

'Klaus' obsession has made him paranoid. He's a recluse. He only trusts those in his immediate circle.' 

'Like you?' 

'Not anymore,' Elijah said sadly. 

'You don't know where he is, do you?' The Original kept a passive face at this. 'So you're trying to use me to draw him out.' 

'Well, to do that, I need you to stay put and stop trying to get yourself killed,' he replied, leaning against the wall again, giving her a slight smile. 

'How do I know you're telling the truth?' 

'If I wasn't being truthful, your whole family would be dead and I'd be taking you to Klaus right now,' he replied calmly. 'Instead, I'm here and I'm prepared to offer you a deal.' 

'What kind of a deal?' He stood and walked over to her desk. 

'Do nothing. Do nothing, live your life, stop fighting. Then, when the time is right, you and I shall draw Klaus out together and I will make sure your friends remain unharmed.' 

'And then what?' He stopped his flipping through the small book on her desk, and walked over to her. 

'I kill him.' 

'Just like that?' 

'Just like that. I'm a man of my word, Elena. I make a deal; I keep a deal.' 

'How are you going to be able to keep everybody safe?' 

'I notice you have a friend,' he said. 'Bonnie, is it? She seems to possess the gift of magic. I have friends with similar gifts.' 

'You know witches.' 

'Together we can protect you and everybody that matters to you. So do we have a deal?' She stepped forwards. 

'I need you to do one more thing for me.' 

'You're negotiating now?' She said nothing. 

Several days later... 

Jenna Sommers, Elijah, and myself (Lilliana) were walking in the forest, through the old property lines put up in the 1860's by the founders of Mystic Falls. 

'The old Fell property starts just beyond that fence,' Jenna said, pointing in the distance, holding a bag over her shoulder filled with maps and documents.