Chapter 16: The Sacrifice

The car door shut. Elijah, Lilliana, Stefan and Alaric got out of the vehicle. 

'The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets,' Elijah was saying as the four walked towards the abandoned mansion nearby. 'First the werewolf is killed, then the vampire. Finally, the doppelganger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become a hybrid.' 

'So when do we attack?' Alaric asked. 

'Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side. He'll be vulnerable during the transformation. That's when Bonnie comes in.' 

'And you're sure Bonnie will survive this?' Stefan asked worriedly. 

'If she can deliver him to the brink of death,' Elijah replied, 'I'll finish the job myself.' Stefan's phone began to ring. He pulled it out and answered it. 

'Damon,' he said, deadpan. 

'You're not going to like what I'm about to say,' the eldest Salvatore said over the line. 

'Cut to the chase. Is the sacrifice happening or not?' 

'It's happening. I tried to stop it, but it got... complicated.' 

'We're sticking with the original plan. We're meeting Bonnie right now.' 

'He's got Jenna, Stefan,' Damon said over the line. My hand came to my mouth in shock at hearing the name. 

'What?' Stefan exclaimed. 

'He got Katherine to lure her out of the house.' Stefan looked at Alaric. 

'What? What's wrong?' the history teacher turned vampire hunter asked, worry lines creasing his forehead. 

'He's going to use her as the vampire in the ritual,' Damon said over the phone. 

'Oh, my God,' Stefan replied. 

In an empty quarry... 

Klaus handed the moonstone to Greta Martin, one of the witches that had pulled him out of Alaric's body. 

'I've got the moonstone. I spent 500 years looking for this. I hate to part with it.' The witch took it. 

'The moon has passed its apex. Remember everything you need to do?' 

'I remember.' She threw the moonstone into the bowl of water, sending a shower of sparks as she destroyed it, and began to chant in Latin over the bowl. He stepped down from the rock, coming towards the circle of fire that held the werewolf, Jules. She screamed and groaned, holding her stomach as the pain of withheld transformation into a wolf began to overtake her. 

'Everything I did...' she shouted, looking at Elena, 'I was just trying to help Tyler.' 

'Are you Jules?' she asked. 

'I didn't want him to be alone!' The ring of fire started disappearing from around Jules. 

'Shall we?' Klaus asked menacingly, a smile coming to his face. Then the ring completely disappeared and the werewolf attempted to run, but Klaus body-slammed her to the ground, thrust his hand into her chest and pulled her heart out, a sadistic smile crossing his face as the doppelganger and the former human-turned vampire looked on in horror. 

Stefan stood outside the abandoned house, watching his surroundings. He turned to see Lilliana and Elijah walk up the short hill towards him.