Chapter 12: More Discoveries

Elena closed the door slowly, the knob clicking as she turned to Stefan. 

'Is she gonna be okay?' Stefan asked her. 

'She's in shock. I tried to tell her as much as I could, but I barely scratched the surface,' Elena replied. 

'I'm so sorry, Elena. I hate this.' 

'It's not your fault, Stefan. It's mine. Anyway...' she said, walking around Stefan to leave, 'I have to go back to Elijah.' He caught her arm as she tried to walk away. 

'Wait, what? No, no!' 

'Stefan, I promised him and Lilliana that I would return. I can't break that promise.' 

'Oh,' he said, then let her go, nodding. 

'I'll be okay.' She walked to the front door just as Damon and Andie, his girlfriend, arrived. 

'Where do you think you're going?' Damon asked her. 

'Back to Elijah,' she replied resolutely. 'And Lilliana.' He vamp sped up to her, glaring at her. 

'No,' he replied. 

'Get out of my way, Dam-' He caught her arm. 

'If you so much as try and take a step out of this house...' he growled, his tone dangerous.

'Damon, easy,' Andie said, attempting to defuse the situation. 

'Stay out of this, Andie,' he said sharply. 

'Let her go,' Stefan spoke, coming up to defend Elena. 

'Are you kidding? We just got her back.' Stefan grabbed his arm forcefully. 

'You heard me. I said, let her go.' 

'That's twice today you've stood in my way,' Damon replied to his brother, glaring murderously at him. 'I wouldn't try for a third.' 

Back at the Lockwood mansion... 

Elijah walked inside, as I was holding his hand. He sat down on the chair, and beckoned for me to sit as well. I planted myself on his lap, and tenderly kissed him. He reciprocated the kiss, his hands pushing up the back of my shirt as we continued to deepen the kiss. I pulled back, lips red and kiss-swollen, cheeks and eyes bright with desire. 

'I've missed you so much, my sweet, protective Elijah. I figured it would be years yet until you would come back to me.' 

'Now what kind of boyfriend would I be if I did not find a chance to see you at the first possible second? I just wish it had been under better circumstances. You never did tell me how you got captured.' 

'It was a accident, really. One minute Elena and I were walking to the parking lot outside of the school, the next, I was vervained and Elena was knocked out. The last thing I remember was someone laying me in the back of a car trunk and shutting the door. I guess they must have found out I was a vampire somehow and figured it'd be best to keep me on a steady dose of vervain.' He frowned. 

'I'm quite glad they're dead. They hurt my Lilliana. My beautiful, darling Lilliana. And I couldn't forgive that. Not if anyone hurt you.' 

'I'm still worried about Klaus, Elijah. What if he tries to separate us somehow? Tries to kill me, or worse, dagger you again? You know how he is.' 

'I remember he liked you very much when you met him that time in - 1937, was it?' 

'That was a different Niklaus.' 

'Still the same arrogant vampire with the outrageous temper and a penchant for daggering his siblings that I know now. He won't hurt you, my love. He can't.' 

'But if he tried -' Elijah placed his forefinger and index finger on my lips, quietening me. 

'Shh. No more of that. He won't try anything. He won't hurt my Lilliana. Not as long as I am alive.' 

'He can change that very quickly with the daggers, Elijah, and you know that.' 

'When it comes down to it, we'll handle it. Together. Like we always have.' He kissed me again, then kissed his way down to my neck again, nipping my ear. I let out a low moan at the feeling. He kissed my lips again, and I giggled when his lips brushed against a particularly ticklish spot just above my upper lip. Then he vamp sped us over to the couch, ending up on top of me. He kissed me again, and we began to get more heated, as I began to unbutton his shirt, kissing him further. I vamp sped, flipping us over so I was on top. After a couple minutes of heated kissing, Elijah stopped abruptly, apparently listening to something. 'Elena's here,' he said softly. He vamp sped up, buttoning up his shirt, and I was laying on the couch, feet up on the armrest as Elijah situated himself, standing by the mantelpiece when the doppelganger came in. 

'Welcome back,' I said sarcastically, getting up to lean over the back of the couch, staring up at the girl. 

'Tell me,' Elena replied, walking up to Elijah, taking off her jacket and tossing it on the coffee table. 'What is Klaus' curse?' He gestured to the seat next to the couch that I was on. 

'Please,' he said softly. She sat, looking up at him. 'My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son.' He looked down at the human, to meet her eyes. 'My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realising, of course, that he was igniting a war between the species that rages until this day.' 

'A war between the species?' 

'The vampires... and the werewolves.' She fell silent, taking it in. 

'So Klaus' real father was from a werewolf bloodline? What does that make Klaus? A werewolf? Or a vampire?' 

'He's both,' I said after a moment of silence. Elena's mouth fell slightly open. 

'A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewolf or vampire,' Elijah said, walking towards the archway in the living room of the house. 'Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would remain dormant.' He turned, leaning against the doorway, to face the two of us. 

'That's the curse that Klaus wants to break?' 

'He wants to trigger that part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He'd build his own race... endangering not just vampires, but everyone.' She stood. 

'But you helped him.' 

'I helped him because I loved him. That's changed, now he must die.' She walked forward, towards the Original. 

'We have the dagger now. We can stop him.' 

'When a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. An Original can't be killed by anything but white oak ash on a silver dagger. So you see the conundrum. The dagger does not work.' 

'What, are you saying that Klaus can't be killed?' she asked, leaning against the doorway opposite him. 

'There's one way to kill a supernatural species... at the hands of the servants of nature themselves.' 

'A witch... if they can channel that much power. But it would kill them.' 

'The curse must be broken during the full moon. When Klaus is in transition. That's when he'll be at his most vulnerable. A witch with enough power... can kill Klaus.' 

'What if I told you that I knew a witch that could channel that much power?' 

'Then I would tell you that there's one more thing that you should know.'