Chapter 11: Catching Up

Lockwood Mansion. Mystic Falls. 

Elijah rung the bell to the mansion as the three of us stood there on the doorstep, my arm wrapped around Elijah's, and Elena standing to my left. The door opened, and Carol Lockwood looked at us, taking in Elijah's dishevelled appearance with mild shock. 

'Elijah, Elena, Lilliana! What are you doing here? What happened?' 

'I've had a bit of an incident, Carol,' Elijah said smoothly. 'As has my girlfriend here. I'm hoping you could help.' 

'Well, I'm on my way to a meeting, so -' I stepped up and compelled her. 

'We won't take but a minute of your time,' I said softly. She smiled. 

'Of course. Anything you need.' 

'Thank you,' I said, the two of us leading the way inside, and Elena following us. 

'Well, first things first, I'm going to need a change of clothing,' Elijah said. 'And I do believe Lilliana might want to freshen up a little.' 

'Uh, yeah, absolutely. Please,' I spoke. 

'Well, we can try one of my husband's suits. I haven't boxed them up yet,' she replied, looking down. I'd remembered Richard Lockwood, the former mayor of Mystic Falls, had died during an incident a couple months back when John Gilbert had gotten his hands on the Gilbert Compass, a device that could identify vampires. 

'Wonderful,' Elijah replied, smiling. Carol walked away and Elijah and I both turned to Elena. 

'How did you know she's not on vervain?' the doppelganger asked. 

'Because I'm the one who got her off it. Right before you and your friends killed me. Twice. And captured Lilliana. If you'll excuse me, myself and my girlfriend will be done in a moment.' He took my hand and led me into the room where Carol was waiting to help us get sorted. 

The three of us were sitting in the living room of the Lockwood mansion several minutes later, Elijah and I having freshened up a good deal after our ordeal thanks to the Salvatore brothers. I took a sip of my tea, watching Elijah as he spoke to Elena. 

'So I assume that the Martin witches are no longer with us?'

'No,' she replied. 'I'm sorry.' 

'And Katerina? She would have been released from my compulsion when I died.' 

'Klaus took her. We think that she may be dead,' Elena replied. I scoffed. 

'I doubt that,' I chimed in with a dark chuckle escaping my lips. Elijah let a small smirk loose. 

'Not Klaus' style. Death would be too easy for her after what she did,' Elijah spoke. 

'I don't understand,' the human said, looking at the both of us. 'You say you want Klaus dead, but you still made Katherine pay for betraying him.' 

'I have my own reasons for wanting Katerina to pay. There was a time... I'd have done anything for Klaus.' 

1492. Unknown location, somewhere in England. 

'From where have you come, Katerina?' Niklaus asked the woman, smiling eagerly at her.

'I'm new to town, my lord,' she replied in an English accent, curtseying with all the grace and poise of a princess. 

'Katerina is from Bulgaria,' Elijah replied, coming to stand next to the woman.