Chapter 6: Slater

Salvatore Boarding House. Mystic Falls. 

'It's a bad idea,' Rose said to Elena, now fully dressed and pacing back and forth in the carpeted living room. 

'No, it's not. From what Stefan told me your friend Slater obviously has more information about Klaus. You and Damon just gave up before you got it.' 

'Because somebody blew up a coffee shop with us in it,' Rose retorted. 

'There's more to learn. We just have to find a way to learn it.' 

'Why are you coming to me with this?'

'Because you owe me. One word from me and Damon and Stefan could have killed you for kidnapping me.' 

'Or maybe it's because you know that they wouldn't want you doing this. And their moonstone caper gives you a chance to sneak away.'

'We're having a disagreement, okay? They're willing to risk everyone I love and I'm not.' 

'They're just trying to protect you.' 

'And you've proven that you couldn't care less whether I'm protected or not so we're back to you taking me to Slater.' 

'What about the other one, the one who seemed valuable to Elijah?' Rose asked. 

'I don't know why he wanted her,' Elena said. 'Her name's Lilliana. She's a friend of ours. Another vampire. But in all the time I've known her, she's never mentioned anything about this Elijah guy.' 

'What exactly do you hope to achieve by this?' Rose asked the human, sitting down next to her on the couch. 

'How would you like to be able to walk during the daylight?' 

'I've been a slave to shadows for 500 years, what do you think?'

'I think I know a witch who's willing to do whatever it takes to help, if you're willing to make a deal.' 

Undisclosed location. A couple of hours later. 

'How does this work?' Elijah asked as he sat across from his witch, Jonas, who had multiple items laid out on the table: a piece of Elena's hair from her hairbrush, a locket, a cheerleader photo, and multiple other small items were laid out. Lilliana sat at the end of the table, watching the two get ready to perform the spell. 

'Give me your hand,' Jonas replied, holding out his hand for Elijah, now wielding a knife. He gave him his hand, and he slowly cut it with a knife, Elijah not flinching or wincing. 'Place it here,' Jonas added. Elijah laid his hand face down on the picture of Elena as a cheerleader. 'Now take my hand. Close your eyes and relax your mind. Look for her.' Elijah placed his other hand in Jonas' and closed his eyes. 

Richmond, Virginia. 

Elena was looking out the window of tempered glass in Slater's apartment when the face of Elijah showed up behind her. She turned, gasping in shock, only to find he wasn't there.

Back at the undisclosed location. 

Elijah's eyes opened slowly. 

'You saw her, didn't you?' Jonas pressed. 

'I know exactly where she is.'