Chapter 8: Dinner Party Gone South

Salvatore Boarding House. Mystic Falls. 

Damon opened the front door to see Elijah and Lilliana standing there, Elijah in his suit without a tie and top part of his shirt unbuttoned, while Lilliana wore a gorgeous ankle-length floral dress with platform heels. 

'Good evening,' Elijah said smoothly. 

'Thank you for coming. Please, come in,' Damon said with a smile that I knew meant he was up to some kind of mischief. And he had to do it when Stefan was away... 

'Just one moment,' Elijah replied, the the both of us stepping up to the door, as his hand ran over the doorpost. 'Can I just say that if you have any less than honourable intentions about how this evening is going to proceed, I suggest you reconsider.' 

'No, nothing - nothing dishonourable. Just getting to know you,' he said with another smirk. 

'Hmm. Well, that's good.' The two of us walked into the home, with Elijah stopping a few feet into the house. 'Because, you know, although Elena and I have this deal, if you so much as make a move to cross me or hurt Lilliana in any way, shape or form, I'll kill you and I'll kill everyone in this house. Are we clear?' 

'Crystal.' He stepped forwards into the house, and a smile returned to his face when he saw Jenna. 

'Jenna! Wonderful to see you again. How are you?' 

'Nice to see you again.' 

'You look incredible.' 

'Thank you.' 

Later... 

The small group, including Alaric Saltzman, Jenna Sommers, John Gilbert, Damon Salvatore, his girlfriend Andie Starr, and Elijah Mikaelson, as well as his girlfriend Lilliana Moore, all sat around the dinner table. Jenna was pouring wine in Damon's glass as she spoke. 

'I hate to break it to you, Damon, but according to Elijah, your family is so not a founder of this town.' Damon leaned forward eagerly and looked to Elijah. 

'Hmm, do tell.'

'Well, as I mentioned to Jenna earlier, and Lilliana heard me, a faction of settlers migrated from Salem after the witch trials in the 1690s. Over the next hundred years, they developed this community where they could feel safe from persecution.' 

'Because they were witches,' Jenna said with a mystified smile on her face. 

'Yeah,' Andie spoke up, 'but there is no tangible proof there were witches in Salem.'

'Andie's a journalist,' Damon chimed in. 'Big on facts.' 

'Well, the lore says that there was this wave of anti-witch hysteria,' Elijah replied. 'It broke out in the neighbouring settlement, so these witches were rounded up. They were tied to stakes in a field together and uh, burned.' He took a sip of his wine. 'Some say you could hear the screams for miles around us. They were consumed by the fire.' I wrapped my arm around Elijah's. 

'Definitely not a story to tell the kids at bedtime,' I said with a grimace. 'Could you ask John to pass the salt, darling?' 

'Of course, my love.' He turned to John. 

'Could you pass the...' The salt was handed to him, and he passed it to me. After salting my food, I passed it back to Elijah, who followed suit, then placed the small salt glass shaker back down on the table.