Chapter 14: Plans Begin

The next day. Salvatore House. Mystic Falls. 

The four of us, Elijah, myself (Lilliana), Stefan and Elena all stood or sat around the living room of the Salvatore Boarding House, all offering our own opinions and sharing our information on how we were going to kill Klaus Mikaelson when the time came for the sacrifice to happen in order for his curse to be broken. 

'Tonight is the full moon,' Elijah was saying. 'We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse.' 

'Elena said that the sun and moon curse is fake?' Stefan asked, from where he was seated next to his girlfriend, across from me as Elijah stood. 'That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus?' 

'Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline,' Elijah replied. 'The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid.' 

'Then why are we letting him break the curse?' Damon asked, walking out to join us. 'We can kill him today. With Bonnie.' 

'Damon...' Stefan said warningly as the older Salvatore glared at the younger. 

'No,' Elena spoke. 'Bonnie can't use that much power without dying.' 

'I'll write her a great eulogy,' the older Salvatore replied sarcastically. 

'It's not an option, Damon,' Elena said sharply. 

'Alright, how do we break this curse?' Stefan asked, turning back to Elijah. He walked over to the other side of the room, speaking as he walked. 

'Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know.' 

'The moonstone,' I said. 

'A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone,' Elijah spoke. 'After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each.' 

'And where do I fit into it?' Elena asked worriedly. 

'The final part of the ritual.' The Original went across the room again to a shelf, pulling out a wooden box and opening it, revealing a crystal-like container. 'Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger... to the point of your death.' My hand involuntarily closed over my mouth in shock as Stefan grabbed Elena's hand, the group in the room all wrestling with this inevitable fact. 

'Oh, God,' I said softly. 'So that means that... she'll die, won't she, Elijah? Tell me you're not going to let that happen.' 

'I won't, Lilliana. I gave her my word.' He pulled out the crystal jar. 

'And that's where you come in,' Elena said, looking at Elijah. He showed the jar to her.

'This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation.' 

'So I'll be dead?' Elena asked. 

'And then you won't.' 

'That's your plan?' Damon asked, scoffing. 'A magical witch potion with no expiration date?' He looked at Elena. 'You want to come back to life? What about, John's ring?' 

'Those rings only work on humans,' I butted in, making the older Salvatore glare at me. 'The doppelganger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are, the ring won't work.' 

'I'll take those odds over your boyfriend's elixir, sweet cheeks,' he replied sarcastically, turning back to Elena. 'What if it doesn't work, Elena?'

'Then I guess I'll just be dead.' There was silence. Damon glared at Stefan, who simply shrugged. Damon glared at us then left the room. Elena sighed, looking up at Elijah. 

'Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?' 

'Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight, he will.' 

A few moments later (in the living room)... 

Elijah stood at the corner of the room, with me standing by his side, and Elena sitting on a chair in front of us, Jenna sitting on the couch on one side, Alaric (no longer possessed by Klaus) sat opposite her and Stefan was pacing between the fireplace and the end of the couches. 

'So you don't remember anything that happened?' Stefan asked Alaric. 

'No. It's like I blacked out and woke up three days later. Katherine was there.' 

'She's under compulsion,' Stefan replied. 'Damon snuck her some vervain, but she can't leave until Klaus tells her she can.' 

'Where is Damon?' Elena asked. 

'I saw him go upstairs,' Jenna offered. Elena got up and left. 

'So what else did I do?' Alaric asked. A moment later, we heard a loud scream that was muffled from upstairs. Stefan and I sped upstairs and attacked Damon, who had been force-feeding Elena with his own blood. 

'What did you do?!' Stefan and I both shouted as I ran to cover Elena, wrapping her protectively in my arms as she cried, clutching onto me desperately. 

'I saved her life,' Damon snarled. He glanced at Elena. 'You're so bent on dying, at least this way I know you'll come back.' 

'As a vampire!' Stefan shouted. 'She'll come back as a vampire!' 

'It's better than nothing else,' the older brother argued. 

'How could you, of all people, take that choice away from her?' Stefan exclaimed. 

'Go ahead,' Damon sneered at Elena. 'Wish me an eternity of misery. Believe me, you'll get over it.' Stefan punched Damon, sending him into a desk. 

'Stefan!' Elena cried out, as the two ignored her, continuing to trade blows. The fight was finally brought to a halt when Stefan was stabbed with a wooden stick and Jenna and Alaric intervened. 

Damon walked downstairs with a bloodied nose and lip from the fight with Stefan to see Elijah packing away the elixir in the box. 

'Well, it sounds like you won't be needing this anymore,' Elijah said. 'Feeding her vampire blood rendered it useless. Tell Elena that myself and Lilliana will be back before nightfall. We'll proceed as planned.' Damon poured himself a glass of bourbon and downed it in one go. 

'We both know that elixir wouldn't have worked anyway.' 

'The problem, Damon...' Elijah said, walking back over to the eldest Salvatore, 'you talk a good game but you don't actually know anything. She'll never forgive you. And never for a vampire... is a very long time.' Damon left the room and Elijah parted ways from the younger vampire, coming into contact with me outside. I ran a hand through my hair, sitting in the car as Elijah got into the driver's seat, starting up the car. We drove and after a while, he turned to me. 'You helped Stefan stop Damon... why?' 

'Because Elena was fed blood against her will. I asked you to turn me back in 1910, but the way that I went out, the way that I died, was against my will. I couldn't wish the same thing on her. I wouldn't. And yet she'll spend the last few hours of her human life, worrying about the bloodlust and the heightened emotions. In many ways, I'm thankful Stefan's there. He's good for her.' 

'I should have turned you myself when I had the chance,' he said, turning his eyes to the road. 

'I don't blame you for what happened. It was a violent end to my human life... but you were there when I woke up, so I suppose that counts.' 

'Your father drowned you, Lilliana. You deserved a more fitting end. A gentler end to your life.' 

'There's no 'gentle' way to go around it, Elijah. You're talking about killing someone.' 

'I just -' he said softly. I placed my hand on his leg, then lifted it up, stroking the back of his neck gently. 

'You did nothing wrong. You were always there for me. I don't fault you for that one thing.' He looked over to me. 

'But that one thing defined the rest of your life. And for that, I cannot forgive myself.'