Chapter 18: Attention

I don't remember getting back to the house. But I can only imagine Kane had something to do with it. I sat up in my bed looking around for him. Only to frown when I didn't see him.

He wouldn't leave me after that right? He wasn't using me. Right?

Before I could spiral more my bathroom door opened and in entered the devil himself. I couldn't help but smile at him. He graced me with one back.

"You should put some PJ's on. I'm sure that won't be comfortable sleeping in." Kane nodded to my dress I still wore.

"Right." I blushed. Rushing out of bed and into my closet, closing the door. I could hear him chuckling. Asshole. I went to my Pj's and picked out my usual oversized tee and baggy shorts. When I saw my sleep set my mother bought me a while ago. And then I had an idea. If he wants to play games... I'll play too.

I picked up the dainty thing my mother called Pj's and held it out in front of me- yeah this isn't going to cover much. I blew out a breath of air. Okay it's fine you want to do this. I took off my other pjs and slid on the silk shirt tank top and shorts. In the mirror I took myself in. Jesus. The tank top came just above my belly button, if I reached my arms up I showed under boob. The top plunged into a deep V showing off my cleavage. The shorts weren't better. They were more like panties. Showing my ass cheeks in the back. The whole set matched in the deepest black you'd ever see. Thankfully the deep color covered my erect nipples through my shirt.

I took a breath of air and walked into my room. Kane was still there sitting in one of my chairs waiting for me. I strutted right past him and into my bed. Pulling the covers up over me. My breath shakes at my boldness.

"If you wanted my attention Angel you could have just asked" He chuckled. He strolled over to my side of the bed. Bending down over my body. I could feel his body heat, see his pupils in the forest green. My pulse quickened at our proximity. He leaned in and my breath caught, eyes fluttering closed. And then-

He kissed my forehead. What?! My eyes snapped open glaring at him causing another laugh to slip past his lips. "Goodnight Bambi" and with that he left me alone. With a ragging heart beat and an emotion to match. What the fuck was that for. Tease.

————————————————————————

I'm not sure what time it was, but I haven't been able to sleep since Kane left. I couldn't stop thinking about this afternoon. I wanted him so bad. I mean not just his touch, though that was amazing. But his presence as well. I felt so at peace around him. I decided to ask him to come sleep next to me in bed. I walked to the door and opened it, expecting Kane to be on guard on the other side. However he wasn't there. I frowned until I remembered he was probably on sleep break. Urg fine. I put on my bunny slippers and creeped out of my bed to the wing where the employees sleep.

Fuck, Idiot. I didn't even know which room was his. Damn. I walked down the hall in the maze of employee rooms. It could be any of these. Urg. I cursed myself for not asking before or looking for a map or something. I continued to roam the halls. Hoping for something. A big sign on his door would be nice, I scuffed to myself.

Finally giving up, I slid down one of the hallway walls. Head in my knees, sighing deeply. What a waste of time.

"You lost?" A gruff voice said. I snap my head up startled.

"I uh- I was just looking for my friend. Kane?" I said.

He looked at me intently. I've never seen this man before? "Kane doesn't have friends, '' he responded matter of factly.

"Well I don't doubt that but I need to see him. Do you know where his room is?" I say standing up impatiently. He stared at me for a moment longer and then tilted his head down the hall and started walking. I just assumed I needed to follow. Hoping he was indeed taking me to Kane. We arrived in front of a door and the Man just... left.

Alright- I lift my hand and knock. I really hope this is his room. No answer. Great. I sigh and go to turn. But- this is technically my house, so I decide to open the door a crack just to see who is inside.

Through the sliver in the door I can see a shiftless form sprawled over a tiny bed. I almost laugh at the sight. I open the door farther and recognize the figure as Kane. His tattoos are on full display. Even though his face was covered by darkness I've stared at those tattoos long enough to know who they belong to.

I quietly walk to the side of his bed. Not wanting to wake him. He's so handsome, angelic like when he sleeps. His eyes always hold a certain hatred for the world. Now, when they are closed he seems content, not as if he's about to tear the world in two for whatever it might have done to him.

As I lean over him, taking in more of his relaxed state. And arm shoots to grab my bicep. And before I realize I'm pinned under an angry Kane.

"K-Kane. It's me" no response "Kane! It's me Aurora!" "Y-Your Angel, bambi?" He looks like he's ready to rip my throat out. This was a mistake.

"Bambi?" He says. "Yes. It's me. I'm sorry. I just couldn't sleep" I try to explain. I'm glad it's dark because I'm flushed in embarrassment for my obviously wrong choice to come here.

He relaxes above me and drops his head shaking it. "Why are you here? Did something happen?" He looks back up to me. Searching over my body for injuries.

"No. I just couldn't sleep. And, I thought maybe...'' What did I think? Why did I come here in the first place? Normally I wander the halls when I can't sleep. So why come here?

He sighs. Coming down on to the space next to me by the wall. He holds out an arm and tugs me in. Oh... this is what I had wanted.

"Sleep" he orders. I have no trouble finding sleep now, wrapped in his warm safe embrace. Falling asleep to the beat of his heart.

And for the first time in a while I had no nightmares. I slept peacefully throughout the night.