XXI

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘔𝘪𝘹

♛♛♛

Fairytales didn't exist in the world we lived in. Happiness was rare, sadness was evident, and feeling numb was what all anyone could feel.

You could be happy for a second, for a minute, for a moment.

But once reality hits, once life hits, all of that happiness drains.

For the entire day Hazel has been working, helping patients, stitching them up, cleaning wounds—you name it and Hazel's done it.

But for every single second of the day, every patient that passed and every time her mind got distracted, those distractions would be replaced with thoughts of Julius.

It was all she could think about. As if he were tattooed into her mind, scarred into her head.

Every motion he made that was both appealing and dreamily unsettling was replayed in her memory. The scar across his eyebrow arose her attention a little more each time she saw him.

Because of how low his voice was, the melody of his deep voice always soothed her. His words comforted her as well, even though they were unemotional but still utterly sweet, like sugar.

Hazel's crush was growing stronger, and judging by the number of books she'd read and movies she'd seen, she wasn't blind to the reality that she was falling in love.

Falling in love with her best friend.

Hazel was unsure of how he felt. Surely the almost kiss meant something? Or maybe she was just imagining him leaning in, she built a picture in her mind and it magically became reality.

But maybe she wasn't. Maybe he was leaning too, willingly.

Sighing, she brought the end of the pen to her mouth while she continued to be deep in thought.

Tonight her parents would be home, she knew this because they had mentioned it this morning. Which also meant that she would be bracing herself for a night of distracting yells and whispers and songs and—

"You've got one last patient for the night, Hazel."

Hazel looked up at the older woman, nodding and ordering to bring them in.

She rose up and turned around, adjusting her scrubs. She heard the door open and close as she was cleaning her hands.

When Hazel turned around, she had her comforting smile plastered across her mouth, ready to console whoever had been injured.