chapter five

chapter five - push me

James and I sit in my garden a few days after our fake date. The weather is still nice for September. We see that Connor is coming home.

"Hey guys!" , Con says.

"Hey!", we greet the blue eyed boy.

James greets his bandmate: "Hey Connor! Cara wanted to ask you something!"

"What?", I look worried at James. What is he talking about?

"His phone number?", James whispers to me and I freeze for a second, as his breath touches my skin.

Why is he doing this? How embarressing that he tells Con that I have to ask him something. Con probably thinks I am stupid or can't talk or something. Okay, Cara keep calm, keep yourself together!
I can't help and start to stutter: "I wanted to ask, if I can have your number, because you know, we are neighbors, and if one of us forget their keys or you would need some milk or something", I almost start to ramble.

"Sure! Give me your phone!", he says, I walk to him, hand him my phone and he types in his number. Why am I shaking?

"Thanks!", I say.

"See you around!"

"I will!"

I turn around to James: "Oh my god!", my head is extremely red.

"What's wrong, you've got his number?"

"What was that? If we need milk? Milk is not really a flirty, sexy topic"

"Well", James grins: "It's juicy"

"James! I am serious! Why am I always so awkward! He probably thinks I am stupid! Why do I always have to embarrass myself in front of guys, why can't I just be so confident like all the other girls!"

"You are cute when you are angry!", he smiles at me.

"James!", he comes near to hug me. I really like his hugs - they are so comforting. I put my head on his shoulder.

"Don't put yourself down. It was fine. You did everything right. You did it your way. It was cute! But I hope it was okay, that I pushed you!", he strokes my hair.

"Yes, but maybe next time you could give me a tip, what to say and warn me or something!"

"Well, some things you have to do or figure out yourself like talking to your crush is one of them! But it's noted! We can prepare some things you could talk to Connor about!"

"I guess that's a fair deal! Also I haven't thanked you for that fake date yet"

"You don't have to!"

"It was a really fun afternoon!"

"I am glad you liked the fake date!"

The sun moves to the horizon and we lay down again on the garden furniture. Luckily it's big enough for two people to lay next to each other.

"James, what is it like to be in a real relationship?", I put my head on his chest. It may be weird, but it already feels natural to me, to hug him, touch him and be close to him in general, I've never had this before.

"Basically not much different than what we do, you have someone to talk to, someone to hang out with, someone that understands you, that likes you unconditionally, someone you can learn from, someone that pushes you, but accepts your boundaries, someone you trust. Of course you do a bit more in a relationship than we do: The whole kissing and having sex part". I crack my knuckles. He pauses and looks at me: "You've never been in a relationship, have you?"

I shake my head: "Is it that obvious?"

"No, but you don't feel very comfortable, if I touch you a certain way or someone around you is talking about love, romance, and sex. All the questions about love and relationships. So I guess you don't have much experience with it!"

I blush and grab my face in my hands. Can I please disappear?

"How come?", the guy next to me asks.

"I guess, there was never a boy that showed interest!", I try to avoid looking into his eyes.

"I can't believe that!"

"Believe it!", I say, finally able to look into his green eyes again.

"I am sure the right one is right around the corner!", with a smile on his face he tries to encourage me.

The only thing I wanna know is if the boy around the corner is Connor?