Chapter twentythree

chapter 23 - confuse me

~high hopes x part of me~

"But I've got high hopes, it takes me back to when we started

high hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again

high hopes, when it all come to an end

but the world keeps spinning around"

It's the first time, after James and I's breakup, when I see both James and Con again. I am really nervous. It's been a week to be exact. They have been busy with practice and I've been busy with school, so I haven't seen any of the boys in a while.

"Hi. I am so glad you came", James is hugging me. It feels normal, not weird. It feels familiar. Like nothing had changed.

"I couldn't miss it! Are you nervous for the gig?", I ask the guitarist. It's their first gig since I met them.

"No. Besides there are only friends and family here", he looks around and than turns to me again: "Can I get you a drink or something?"

"Yeah sure. I take what you have!"

"Alright. I'll be back in a minute", he says, touches my shoulder and keep my eyes on him as he walks away.

"So your big Date with Con is coming up", he says handing me the drink two minutes later.

Two days after James and I broke up, Connor asked me on a date. I couldn't believe it.

"Yeah right", I say. It feels so weird standing next to him, so close and yet so far. Not the same as it was. I mean, of course I can hug him, but I can not kiss him, though his lips look very kissable, as usual.

"I am sure, it's gonna be great! I taught you everything important and you are adorable! He will fall for you, I am sure!"

I smile: "Thanks"

"I am happy for you!", he hugs me tightly. I missed his hugs and hanging out with him everyday.

"Gotta go now", he leaves his hand on my back for a few seconds, but walks on stage, while I still feel the heat from his hand on my back.

Luna and Luna's best friends Alyssa are coming our way: "Hi Cara!"

They both hug me and we walk to the "stage" together.

"Ready for your first the Vamps concert?", Luna ask me.

I look at Connor with a smile: "I guess"

"Welcome Ladies and Gentlemans. We love to see all your beautiful faces tonight. We're starting with a cover tonight. High hopes by Kodaline"

A smile forms on my face. James and I listen to this song in his car. It's one of his faves. His music taste is immaculate.

"But I've got high hopes, it takes me back to when we started

high hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again

high hopes, when it all come to an end

but the world keeps spinning around"

James smiles at me from the stage. They perform their usual songs like can we dance, somebody to you and I've heard most of them already in one of their rehearsals.

"The next song we're going to sing, was almost solely written by our incredible guitarist James McVey. It is a brand new song, we never played for an audience, so be forgiving if we get the words or chords wrong. Here comes part of me!"

The band starts to play. I like this new song. I haven't heard it before, at least not the lyrics. It must be a really new song. The band finished their set and we are getting us some drinks.They are so good! They know how to perform, include the audience, they have high energy and a good mix of slower songs and party songs! Everybody seemed to have a good time.

"I like your necklace" , Luna says.

"Thank you!", I take it between my hands: "It's from James!"

"Oh, James never bought me a gift. You must be very special to him!", she says with a smile on her face.

"Well, you two never had an official break-up, did you?", I ask her.

"True and James never wrote a song for me", Luna says, as she takes a sip from her drink.

"What?", I frown. James never wrote a song for me. He once played Speechless for me, but I can't remember him saying anything about a song and I can't imagine him writing a song for me. Why would he?

"James is the one who wrote the lyrics for part of me. You broke up, and he wrote a new song. It's about you I swear!"

Now I am speechless. Is it true that James wrote part of me about me, about us? I look at James, he is talking to a girl. She seems to be flirting with him, but I don't know what is going on in his mind. I never did, I guess.

"I don't think so. I like the song, though. He is a really talented songwriter", I say and think about 'brightest of colors'.

"And a very asked man, now that he's back on the market", she asks as we both look into James' direction and the girl who is touching his arms laughing and throwing her hair back, while he talks to him.

"Does he...?", I start to say what I think, but stop for a second.

"What?", Luna responds to my half finished question.

"Is he dating anyone?", James is smiling at the girl.

"I don't know", Luna says. "You two just broke up, but maybe he will go on a date soon. Why?"

"I just wonder what kind of girl James likes, when he isn't fake dating anyone from our family"

I wonder if, now that the band member is a free man, if he's going to practice kissing and stuff with other girls. Maybe he has a girl in his college class that is crushing on him, and couldn't wait to date him. I guess the girls are already lining up to date James, I mean who wouldn't?

Luna laughs: "I actually don't know. I guess James doesn't have a type, he falls for a person not a haircolor, you know. So it could be anyone. Even you!""Stop it Luna! I can finally go on a date with Con. James and we are just meant to be friends""Fine. Looking how much the girl is flirting with him, it won't be long until he's in the next relationship", Luna says and I crack with my knuckles and she adds: "One last thing. Maybe the thing you want, is not the thing you need"