Chapter eighteen

Chapter 18 - dream of me

It's not December yet, but it's already very cold outside.

Right now I am sitting on my bed after I studied for my test. I am going on Instagram and typing in Connor Ball on the search bar. I wonder what he is up to this afternoon. Apparently he isn't at home, but there is no post on his feed or in his story. I go to James instagram. He didn't post anything either. I decide to text him.

About half an hour later James picks me up with his car: "What a guy!"

....

"We could bake cookies?", James says as we stand in his kitchen about half an hour later.
"Christmas cookies?", I say and look onto the forms he put out on the table.
"Why not?", he smiles.

So we baked chookies, it's not christmas yet, but we both agreed that we didn't want to go out into the cold, but stay inside instead.

"The cookies smell amazing!", I say as we clean up the kitchen.
"They do"

It works out really well with us two. James helps me with my homework and I help him with the household.

"So how was your studying session?", he asks.

"Good! How is it going with the job in the music store?"

"Good! They'll need the extra hands for the christmas-sales. Thanks for convincing me to apply there!"

"It was your idea!"

"But, you said I should do it, when I doubted myself!"

"How can somebody like you doubt himself?"

"I was such an insecure young boy"

"You were?"

"Yeah. I was struggling with acne. I was the weird kid, who put out videos on youtube?"

"What? Why do I not know this!"

"I have a lot of secrets?"

"Are they still online?", now I got really noisy seeing what James looked like when he was younger.

"Oh shit. Well I guess you will find them sooner or later by yourself.

So, here you go", James types something into his laptop and then places himself next to me

"We can watch some, alright, but first I have to check if the cookies are already done"

I am excited. We haven't talked a lot about James past. At least not about school and his youtube channel. There are also not many child pictures of James in his apartment. Just a handful of family photos.

A few minutes later, James and I were sharing a blanked and cuddled up on the sofa with the laptop in front of us and cookies in our hands.

He was talking about how he used to put on covers on youtube, doing solo gigs and how he was singing in another band before the Vamps.

"That's you?", I open my mouth when we were watching the first video.

"Yes!", he smiles and looks a little bit embarrassed.

"Nice Hair!", I say and look at him now. He changed a lot within the last few years.

"Depends on the person you ask!"

I click on the next video: "What is this? Got to be you? Is this the one direction song"

James grabs his: "Oh gosh no. I messed up the lyrics!"

"You are so adorable. Oh my god. I definitely would have a crush on you back then"

"You were, what, 5 years old back then?", he jokes. I am only three to four years younger than him. James continues: "Not to mention, that you wouldn't have liked my 15 years old me. I was a knob."

"I don't think so. You maybe were insecure. Everybody wants approval at this age. But did the right thing! You followed your heart and see how far you've come! You have this flat, a job, good grades, and the coolest thing a band", I say and he runs his finger through his hair.