Wilson

Chapter 5
7:03 A.M.
A bird was perched on Riley's head as she lay on her pillow. Thoughts were filling her brain and they wouldn't stop. Fortunately, Queen's voice slightly booming through the bakery roof distracted her, and scared away the bird.
"Up up up losers!" Queen exclaimed. Riley abruptly shot her eyes open and sat up.
"You're like an alarm clock!" Connor complained as he tried to fall back to sleep. Hau'oli stood up, trying her best to stay awake.
"You guys take so long to wake up." Haru said.
"Yeah," Jayna added, "pull yourselves together. I'm kidding I love you all."
"Getting up for the flea market is even earlier than this." Steve stated.
"I get up for that, at 4:00. Get up noobs." Kimmie directed.
"What are we even doing today?" Ellie asked.
Riley groaned and stood up. She seemed stable enough to stay awake.
Angelo looked at Connor and laughed, "He's still asleep."
"Connor! What time did you go to sleep?" Scarlet questioned. He shrugged, "An hour ago?"
Hau'oli was fully awake now, and she glared at Connor, "Seriously?"
Connor yawned and got up, "No. Probably like one o'clock, or maybe even three."
Queen sighed, "You need to start getting that sleeping schedule sorted out." she said to Connor.
"So what are we actually doing today again? Ellie repeated.
"I don't know about you guys, but I think I'm gonna practice my long-distance shooting. Being at least 20 feet within my range is the best I can do." Scarlet informed. "That's it!" Haru exclaimed, "We can practice training!"
Queen nodded, "Perfect! We need to learn how to defend ourselves. In an apocalypse, no one will be there to protect us all the time."
"I can show you guys how to properly use the guns." Riley offered. Haru nodded, "I can show how to handle hands-on weapons. My grandpa taught me a few things when I was doing yard work."
Steve smiled, "Cool! Me, Angelo, and even Jayna, Ellie, and Kimmie can teach you guys about running and sprinting."
Ellie nodded a no, "I'm a slow runner, I need training."
Kimmie laughed, "You're actually pretty fast, Ellie. Just try harder. I think I'll be teaching more of climbing than running."
Scarlet added on, "I can teach about things like archery and accuracy."
"I don't know about you guys," Queen said, "but I took karate when I was little. I'm pretty sure you can learn a thing or two from me."
The group bubbled up in laughter. "Oh c'mon. I can!" Queen stated.
"You actually could, Queen. Great offer." Angelo said, with all the seriousness he had after laughing.
"Me and Connor can teach y'all about jumping." Hau'oli said.
"Even how to find food. We're experts at that." Connor said with pride.
"Camouflaging? Or even anything to deal with that. I can teach about makeup, and since I'm fun size I can teach about hiding too." Jayna offered.
"Cool! So we got this?" Riley said with her thumbs-up.
"Yep. Lets get training!" Queen exclaimed.
******
2 days after the apocalypse.
"I think it's all in the shoulder, too. Don't always depend on your sight." Scarlet said, teaching the group about archery and accuracy. "But sometimes I really need someone to help me with long-distance."
"Don't worry, we'll work on that." Haru assured.
******
3 days after the apocalypse.
"Okay." Kimmie quietly said as the group stood by the bakery. "We're going to practice ledge climbing. If you can hang off the side of the ledge and still be able to move down with only your arms, you've got it. If you can't, practice climbing the tree."
"How does that help?" Ellie asked.
"Your speed and strength progresses." Kimmie replied.
******
4 days after the apocalypse.
"Careful Queen! Don't run so much that you bump into the little wall of the roof. It's short enough for you to fall off." Angelo warned.
Ellie made it to the first end of the roof, to the second end and back, within 42 seconds.
"Good job! You and Kimmie both just need to sprint faster, then you've got it." Steve explained to Ellie.
*****
5 days after the apocalypse.
"You can hit quieter by lifting your weapon faster, because going slow creates more force. But be careful when doing so, you might shave the side of your head when using weapons like a machete." Haru explained.
Each person got to try, all getting quieter with each hit to the concrete roof.
"Careful!" Haru said to Connor while in mid-hit, "Make sure you're focusing your weapon on your target. You don't want to hit your foot."
Connor nodded and lifted the machete once again. Little by little, he was improving.
*******
6 days after the apocalypse.
"Jumping is actually really useful." Connor said.
"Yeah!" Hau'oli agreed, "Remember that when you jump, you lock the head and torso of the person's body. It'll put more weight on them so they can collapse, and it'll prevent them from having an easier time moving."
Jayna quietly chuckled, "I think this is more useful than Queen's karate training on the first day." she said to Kimmie.
"I heard that!" Queen said to Jayna.
*****
A whole week later.
"I think our training is pretty good! Who knew the certain things we've learned would be so useful?" Scarlet said to the group.
"We should celebrate with ice cream!" Angelo exclaimed. Scarlet nodded , "Me and Angelo can go down and grab some at Hello Mart! We can walk it, since its so close."
"Stop by the bakery for some bread while you're at it." Jayna added.
"A tube of cookie dough for me." Kimmie informed.
"Cookies and cream." said Connor. "Yassss. Cookies and cream is bae." Hau'oli said, high-fiving Connor.
"Just vanilla." said Queen.
"Oh the push-pops!" Steve exclaimed.
As Scarlet and Angelo took the rest of the ice cream requests, they took their weapons, and made their way down the tree.