Turn The Lights Down Low

Chapter 23

9:47 A.M.

Hau'oli taps her fingers on the glass walls of the cells as a guard walks by with a doughnut.

"Will they ever feed us?" she asks, glaring at the guard with as much hatred as possible.

"They never will," Connor replies. They both sigh as Jayna unbraids and then braids her hair over and over again. Another guard passes by, but this time with coffee.

"Now they're really pushing it," Hau'oli growls. Just then another guard opens their cell, not to release them, but to add in a new cellmate.

"Why are you even experimenting on pregnant women anyway? You're putting her and her baby in danger!" the new cellmate yells as he gets thrown inside.

"No f*cking way," Jayna says. She stands up and makes her way behind Hau and Connor. "What the hell are you doing here?" she yells.

"What the- it's you guys! You guys are the ones who almost killed us!" Wilson claims.

"Us?" Hau questioned. "We almost killed you? You almost killed us!"

"You damaged half of my crew and we were almost eaten alive!"

"You tried to kill us! You were about to let your friend kill me!" Jayna replied. "I don't want you in the same cell as us."

"Well unfortunately for you I am forced to be in here. They have a pregnant woman locked up in the other cell. You think you have problems? If that woman isn't let out she could be killed," Wilson countered. It was enough to shut Jayna up.

"Why are you even here?" Connor asked.

"Why are you guys here?" Wilson replies.

"It's a long story. I asked first," says Connor.

"Story? A true hero's tale, really," Wilson replies, but it's uncertain if it's a sarcastic tone or not. "My group; a little dismantled after that incident with you guys. We're making it by. Then we run into this convenience store and we crash for the night and then these weird dudes in suits come in and say "Hey, you gotta leave. We're taking over this joint." And on instinct we go and defend our territory and fight them and I tell my crew to run and they're all like, "We're not leaving you Wilson," and I'm all like, "Get the f*ck out of here and save yourselves," and I let them run off and I sacrifice myself. Now I'm here, crying about pregnant women getting killed and being in a cell with some brats."

"Brats?" Jayna scoffs.

"Are you really going to complain about that when things could be worse?" Connor says. "That woman is pregnant and alone without her husband. We're lucky to even be near each other." Wilson throws a slight smile to Connor, but Connor doesn't turn.

"Did you just side with him?" Jayna asks.

"Well you're being a little over dramatic," Hau comments. "He can't do anything. He's hurt and without weapons."

"Whatever," Jayna replies as she skirts pass Hau and Connor and back to her corner of the cell. Hau sighs. "This doesn't mean we forgive you. You're still the sketchiest person ever. You did try to kill us."

"Not that sketchy anymore," Connor mumbles, but only Wilson picks up on what he said.

"I shouldn't be," Wilson mumbles back. "It's over and done with. That was days ago. Me being here and risking my life should be karma enough."

"No, your whole crew should be here to pay the price. You weren't the only one who hurt us," Hau says.

"I am representing my whole crew. I'm taking one for the team whether you like it or not."